• Register Today It's free!

Harmonic Balancer Removal...HELP!

ricco750

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, MO USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93XLT4X2 (3:27 LimSlip)
I'm attempting to replace the front seal on my 4.0, but I'm stuck at the balancer bolt...assuming it's a RH thread, when I try to loosen it, the engine turns as well. I put the serp belt back on, same problem. I put a wooden shim under the A/C pulley, no help. Does anyone know how to do this?:confused:

I'm attempting to replace the front seal on my 4.0, but I'm stuck at the balancer bolt...assuming it's a RH thread, when I try to loosen it, the engine turns as well. I put the serp belt back on, same problem. I put a wooden shim under the A/C pulley, no help. Does anyone know how to do this?:confused:

It can be a *****.

Here is how I removed mine:

>>After removing the 19 mm center bolt ( too bad my air impact wrench wouldn’t fit in the area between the radiator and the pulley ) with a ½” breaker bar wedged against the frame while I bumped the motor over ( one bump was all that was needed. The bolt was then removed ( with my 3/8” air ratchet ) after which the battery was disconnected. The old bolt was discarded ( because it was a TTY bolt - a torque to yield bolt<<

Thanks for your reply, Al. I think I get the picture...how do I tell if the bolt is a TTY ?

Thanks for your reply, Al. I think I get the picture...how do I tell if the bolt is a TTY ?

I am not sure how to tell. Check the shop manual for your year. More than likely it is.

Good luck ....

Back