Has anyone done performance tuning to a 2013 3.5 non-EcoBoost? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone done performance tuning to a 2013 3.5 non-EcoBoost?

2013LTD

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Hello all. My first post, sorry so long...

I have a 2013 Explorer Limited AWD with 3.5. Love it... just not enough power IMO. I preferred a Sport, but (I know this sounds completely stupid) when you buy a Sport with bucket seats in the second row, Ford does not offer a center console, and the bucket seats have no armrests. Most people probably don't care, but I have a pet peave about seats with no armrests or a center console for support. So, as a courtesy to passengers, I bought the Limited.

I wanted more power, so I put the K&N Intake system on it. It definitely made a difference in horsepower, but it is so noisy in the cab I'm not sure I'm going to keep it.

I've searched online for someone who makes a programmer for this engine, but I'm not having any luck. I see them for the Flex 3.5, but I doubt if that would work for the Explorer?

Any suggestions of what I can do to bring this motor to life?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all. My first post, sorry so long...

I have a 2013 Explorer Limited AWD with 3.5. Love it... just not enough power IMO. I preferred a Sport, but (I know this sounds completely stupid) when you buy a Sport with bucket seats in the second row, Ford does not offer a center console, and the bucket seats have no armrests. Most people probably don't care, but I have a pet peave about seats with no armrests or a center console for support. So, as a courtesy to passengers, I bought the Limited.

I wanted more power, so I put the K&N Intake system on it. It definitely made a difference in horsepower, but it is so noisy in the cab I'm not sure I'm going to keep it.

I've searched online for someone who makes a programmer for this engine, but I'm not having any luck. I see them for the Flex 3.5, but I doubt if that would work for the Explorer?

Any suggestions of what I can do to bring this motor to life?

Thanks!

Contact Livernois (http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/). They do a tune for the sport, i bet they can do one for the 3.5 N/A. I plan on a livernois tune once i roll some miles.

2013LTD

There is more then just the rear console thats not included as part of the Sport Package.

Theres some tech features missing too.

Im interested in this as well but when I read the post about the Livernois SPORT tune it seemed as it was too much money for a very small increase in HP and torque.

Interesting about the CAI because I asked one of the Ford engine Engineers about adding a CAI to the 3.5L and was told you wont see a difference, don't waste your money.

I will send an email to Diablo Sport to se what they have, their tuners are around $300

http://www.diablosport.com

Im interested in this as well but when I read the post about the Livernois SPORT tune it seemed as it was too much money for a very small increase in HP and torque.

http://www.diablosport.com

If you look at peak to peak gains it doesn't look like much, but at lower RPM's there is a HUGE increase in power from Livernois tunes. At 2700 RPM the increase is 75HP and 142TQ! In other words, right in the range you do 99% of your driving.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...is-motorsports-first-tune-explorer-sport.html

Your right, good point

Now if we could do that with the 3.5L V6 Naturally Aspirated that would make the Limited perfect.

(Excluding My Ford Reset)

Got my Limited a week ago.
Pulled the snorkel tube out and drove it yesterday.
yep, noticable differance.

So now which intake, K&N or CGS
Now K&N dynoed at 13.5HP@5500rpm and 10TQ@3900rpm
So that's what your getting out of either one.
The CGS is a bit less, but it looks like the whole intake is supported by the one mounting strap.
So leaning towards the K&N with the mounting plate.

K&N
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=77-2575KS

CGS
http://www.cgsmotorsports.com/php/products.php?productid=104&modelid=45&makeid=4&appid=236

Now I'm not going with an exhuast just yet. But will end up doing so.

CGS seems to have a nice cat-back. As does MagnaFlow. Both in SS.
The CGS is a less then the MagnaFlow.
CGS and MagnaFlow are using 2.5 inch tubing.

CGS
http://www.cgsmotorsports.com/php/products.php?productid=105&modelid=45&makeid=4&appid=237

MagnaFlow
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=all&id=5363

So for tuners.
Still researching, but MPT is using a SCT and has tunes for our 3.5L, non-Ecoboost.
http://www.morepowertuning.com/2012explorer35sf3

I'm been in Ford's most of my life, at least 20 something years modifing and tuning Fords.

I only had the 2008 Ranger a few months, divorce.
But my last being a 2005 Explorer Sport Trac. with every possible upgrade, full header back exhuast, full intake CAI to modified TB and MAF tube and all upgraded ignition.
With SCT Xcal2 tuner. only covering power here.
:cool:
short of the supercharger, due to it no longer being avalible.

Have you used More Power Tuning before?

Just wondering why they dont post the gains for our 3.5L

Also the tuner doesn't ship with software, the software (tunes) are emailed to you.

Anyone had any experience with this product?

The SCT xcals was pretty easy. plus they will data log to a laptop.

My dealer fpr the Sport Trac merger with another. but they shipped it with the first set of tunes loaded.
Then email me a set of 3 tunes for my new upgrades.
I.E, 93/91 performace, 93/91 tow, 89 Tow.

The first just filter and mufflers, then CAI and upgraded ingintion, then MAF and new y-pipe and performance Cat.

They email the tunes and you load to the handheld and then go flash the Ex.

SCT is a bit slower then others out there and it doesn't have a pod mount like say BullyDog.
But if they have the tunes adn it'll work.
It's the only option.

Now that said there shouldn't be a reason if you wanted the mountable tuner, to not be able to go with the Live model.

FYI the best all round performance I had after years of testing with the Sport Trac 4.0l V4 was the 91/93 tow. then power was right at the driveable 3k-4.5k

I'm going to order the Magna Flow as soon as I verify my taxes.

I removed the airbox snorkel and there was a noticeable difference.
So now just debating on which CAI, still leaning on the K&N.
Would love it if Airraid made one for us.
I hear Injen Tech might have one soon.

I'm planning on testing with a scanGaugeII and G-Tech Pro.
:cool:

Increase in HP numbers nowhere to be found..............hmmmmmmm

Increase in HP numbers nowhere to be found..............hmmmmmmm

For what?
Exhaust, nope haven't found any.

K&N Dyno'ed there CAI.
The CAI is going to pretty much the same for any vendors.
I'm more intreasted in the mounting and back plate.
HP 15-18 with TQ 10-12

CGS claims both CAI and Cat-back will gain you 38HP.
But can't see that with out a tune.
That wouldean the the Cat-back is getting you 20HP.
Seems high to me with no tuning.

No I was asking about HP and TQ gains on the 3.5L natural aspirated with a tune.

Haven't seen any numbers.

Im going to a Ford event in April so I will ask about adding a CAI.

Last time I asked an engineer who worked on that engine I was told don't waste your money.

CAI & Exhaust

I was concerned to see a comment on unwanted cabin noise, I put a K&N on my 4.7 V8 Jeep many years ago other than the inrush and exhale at startup and shutdown didn’t really notice much additional sound in the cabin. I’m chose the EX because of its quiet and smooth ride and would hate to compromise that. Now with a Cat Back Exhaust upgrade I would expect a little more sound into the cabin, but hopefully a good sound as with the Jeep the Cat Back added a nice deep growl which you’d expect from a V8, not sure about 6 cylinders.
I put K&N air filter on the EX soon after I got, just to aid a little in air flow. Still waiting to pull the trigger on CAI or Exhaust.
There’s a lot of talk about HP and TQ increases; what about MPG? What have you-all discovered with one or both upgrades to MPG?

Emailed back and forth with Henson Performance.

They seem pretty decent, they recommended that I get the cat-back installed first.
CAI was installed 2 weeks ago.

That they can either tune a SCT3 or the new iTSX, my call.
Then afterwards they ship there base tune on the device and you do some data logging on a laptop and email it to them.
Then they email back a better fine tune for your actual Ex.

Sounds' like a plan, hoping to order the Cat-back next week or so.

Oh talked to a few other tuner, short of I driving in and they dynoing the tune, none would fine tune after the sale..

Ordered my Magnaflow.

Next the SCT from Henson Performance.

No other tuners claimed to be able to tune the non-Ecoboost, 2011+ 3.5l n/a.
I emailed all of them.

Please update once you get the SCT tuner Im dying to find out how well it works.

Hopefully the IJEN CIA for non E/B will be ready for delivery in next few weeks

It'll be a bit.

I ordered the Cat-back this morning and Performance peddler already emailed me the shipping info.

I'll install the cat-back and let the ECU learn and tune it's self to the new cat-back.
I'll do more G-tech runs right before and after.

But I may not get the SCT for a few months.
Henson Performance has a base tune for the 2011+ 3.5l N/A, which is there shop truck.

Then they dyno tuned there Ex.
Basically the same process for anyone remote. You install there base tune, then follow there driving instructions for data logging. then email the files to them and they email back a fine tune for your Ex.
Closest thing to going and getting a true Dyno tune.

Cat-back installed on Sunday.

Co-workers and gf love the sound.
Balances out the increased sound up front from the CAI.

Feels like it pulls even more.

Will do more G-tech test runs once the weather here isn't so crazy.
Gone through all 4 seasons in less then a week.
Snow, thunder storms, rain, floods, and 75 and sunny.
Currently 36, in the high 60s later in the week. :cool:

Will also post interior sound clips.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last update was eight months ago. Any new info?

Back