Has Anyone Used the AV/in feature of MFT ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has Anyone Used the AV/in feature of MFT ?

JFUSION

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Since getting my truck 3 weeks ago I've been busy using everything on the truck, but I haven't played around with the AV/in option up to today. When I picked up the truck my salesman said kids can play their video games with it, but I wasn't that interested in it at the time, and looking back my salesman was also the one who told me the Ecoboost was a twin-turbo design, so I don't put much faith in his knowledge of the vehicle. Today we tried to use it but it didn't do anything. Just curious if anyone has used it and it's intended purpose, I'm not that tech savy, but I'd like to know what it's all about. Any reply would be great. thanks for reading.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Works only when vehicle is in park.

Used my iPhone4 to watch music videos and a movie.

If your using Apple device you need to buy the cable with Apple connector and RCA plugs on the other end RED/WHITE audio and YELLOW video.

Haven't tried any gaming devices yet.

Works only when vehicle is in park.

Used my iPhone4 to watch music videos and a movie.

If your using Apple device you need to buy the cable with Apple connector and RCA plugs on the other end RED/WHITE audio and YELLOW video.

Haven't tried any gaming devices yet.

Thanks for the quick reply, it probably didn't work as we were moving. We were trying a gaming system at the time, I wondered about it not working if the vehicle was moving, but the MFT manual didn't say anything about requiring the vehicle to be motionless. The av/in section of the manual is really short, doesn't seem to have much information.

I think the feature isn't all useful then as I can't see us wanting to sit in a vehicle to watch videos or play games, I thought if my son could play some video games while the truck was moving it would be helpful, and not really distracting for me as a driver as I wouldn't pay attention to it.

Thanks very much for the reply.

Unfortunately the only way to let the kids do that is the second row DVD system, but again theres no connectivity to the MFT screen.

The only catch is, as Sgt said, the truck needs to be in park. I've got my old XBox connected using AV cables, and am able to play games on it. Best is able to pay Need-For-Speed everytime I get stuck in traffic for long ... Except, i don't want to immediately start driving after it ;-)

xbox.jpg

The only catch is, as Sgt said, the truck needs to be in park. I've got my old XBox connected using AV cables, and am able to play games on it. Best is able to pay Need-For-Speed everytime I get stuck in traffic for long ... Except, i don't want to immediately start driving after it ;-)

xbox.jpg

he, he, he, that is cool, looks good. We were trying to hook up a ps3. :)

It will only be a matter of time before someone comes up with a way around the "vehicle in Park" function. Now, before any safety police flame my post, I am not encouraging the driver watch the screen while driving, but it is nice to allow the family to watch something from the screen if you dont have the rear DVD player. On my Mercedes I have this beautiful pop up screen in my dash with the same in motion problem...frustrating because who equips a car with DTS sound and a video input when you can only watch it while parked? A few companies have already came out with interfaces to allow the video in motion in the Mercedes so I assume aftermarket manufacturers will do this for other vehciles soon. I know its a safety issue, but....

My Lexus 350is has a work around and I play music videos in the car while driving, it's pretty cool to have videos the music you're listening to.

Aftermarket headsets do it without any workaround just like aftermarket GPS, understandable that no one wants the liability. I hope someone finds out the trick for the Explorer soon....

It will only be a matter of time before someone comes up with a way around the "vehicle in Park" function. Now, before any safety police flame my post, I am not encouraging the driver watch the screen while driving, but it is nice to allow the family to watch something from the screen if you dont have the rear DVD player. On my Mercedes I have this beautiful pop up screen in my dash with the same in motion problem...frustrating because who equips a car with DTS sound and a video input when you can only watch it while parked? A few companies have already came out with interfaces to allow the video in motion in the Mercedes so I assume aftermarket manufacturers will do this for other vehciles soon. I know its a safety issue, but....

That#s exactly what we need, I dont see the safety issue as I am not going to play ps3 while driving, I wont even look at the monitor as I have no interest in video games. To me it isnt any more distracting as having the GPS running, and even less in my case. Seems like a waste having the feature if you have to be parked to use it. :thumbdwn:

http://www.navtv.com/MyTouch/myfordtouch.html

Already exists... only it's a bit pricey.. they want 425$

Thanks for the link, that is nice, I like that you can view the camera without having to be in reverse, nice feature. I also like ibeing able to input gps addresses as trying to do it through voice activation is nothing but a frustrating experience as syhnc mis-interprets every address I throw at it.

I still think the previously suggested idea of tying the passenger front seat sensor into the MFT functionality safety lockout is a great idea.

When the seat senses a person in the passenger seat (same as airbag on/off sensor) it pops up a window on MFT advising the occupants that the motion lockouts are being removed and the passenger will be permitted to operate.

You must agree that only the passenger will operate these functions during motion by hitting YES/NO for some legal liability waiver written by a lawyer.

Ford's legal Dept is probably going to say thats not good enough but it sure would make it nice.

Good surround sound for kids

We use the AV in all the time while driving. The stereo left/right works while in motion (red/white), only the video (yellow) is locked out.

We have the DVD system for the 2nd row and our young ones are not yet accustomed to headphones so we have a cable that goes headphones out from the left/drivers side screen to the video in. That way they can hear what is on the screen throughout the cabin. Of course that limits us, but we make do! Note, the independent nature then allows our older sitting behind the passenger seat to choose to watch / hear the same thing or something different with headsets.

Cheers!

Has anyone configured Sirius TV (or any Sat TV) to work with the Ford OEM Invision DVD systems yet?

Sirius says its currently only available in Chrysler products but coming to Ford soon.

I was wondering how difficult the installation and configuration would be in adding a Sat TV Tuner.

http://www.navtv.com/MyTouch/myfordtouch.html

Already exists... only it's a bit pricey.. they want 425$

They could sell a lot of these if it weren't for the price and the need for a professional installer. At those prices though, I'd rather bug Ford to do the right thing and check for a passenger and allow use of Nav (at least) if passenger is sitting in the seat.

now the interesting question is:
Is it possible to add a second camera? The first issue (cannot use camera while in (forward) motion is solved. So as the X does not have a forward parking aid, I would try to install a camera into or above the front license plate. Connecting this one into the same imput as the rear camera is (with a small swtich to choose which camera to use), it would be perfect to forward parking.
Any Ideas, if the camera input is analog or digital?
So there would be no need to switch to the A/V-in jack to have a view with the new front camera.
Or you could install a infrared camera to improve safety while driving in darkness or fog.

Back