head light madness | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

head light madness

xland61

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer
:exp:anyone able to give me information on headlights on 1997 ford explorer limited edition 4.0 Sohc. What happened is i lost passenger side dim. Bright still worked on both sides so i put new bulb in still no dim. so being a redneck hillbilly i just tagged into the dim on drivers side lol it worked for the day then lost both sides of dim yikes brights still work fine but state inspector says the dims need to work also can anyone help.Checked all 3 fuses and they are all good and im not much on tracing wires but i guess i nne to start there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your fuses. I know on my '02 there is a separate fuse for each side. When you tagged on to the side that was working you overloaded the circuit and most likely blew that fuse.

Good luck getting it sorted. :thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Check your fuses. I know on my '02 there is a separate fuse for each side. When you tagged on to the side that was working you overloaded the circuit and most likely blew that fuse.

Good luck getting it sorted. :thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Thanks BigRondo all 3 fuses are good so now i guess i need to start tracing wires which i was trying to avoid lol what a mess.

I would just trace all wires and check all fuses. If that doesnt work i would replace bulbs, DO NOT TOUCH GLASS!!!

Lamp Outage Module? Do you have auto headlights? You can do a search here, tons of info on that problem.

Back