Head unit suggestions?

MO_GUY

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Farber, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explo Sport 4.0 SOHC
Hello all, it has come to my attention that I am in serious need for a new head unit, the one I presently have has a blown internal amp and needs an external amp to function properly.

I am looking at the following brands

Eclipse
Pioneer
Clarion
Alpine

If anyone has a suggested model of either of these 4 brands please post them below so I can check out some prices on ebay. I am trying to stay in the 100-175 range and the head unit must have a subwoofer output RCA.

Also has to play CD-Rs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will sell you my pioneer DEH - 1000 for pretty cheap. Plays CD-R's and has one RCA out.

looking gor new only.......sorry

my suggestion would be that you visit a circuit city or best buy to get the look and feel of the units and pricing. I'm not sure you will be able to get an Eclipse or alpine for under 200 bucks. The others should be pretty easy to find, I would also suggest kenwood, they have great decks and for under 200 bucks. I would also visit www.crutchfield.com and take a look at what they have. The good thing with them is that when you buy a headunit they include all the necessary wiring adapters and mounting kits with detailed directions free of charge, as well as tech support... all in all it boils down to what you like the looks of and what features and feel you like

I would recommend ans Eclipse, but there is no way you are going to find one in your price range brand new. I have an older model, and I love it. It was well worth the extra money I spent on it, but I know about staying in a budget. Below are a few of my recommendations. Before my Eclipse, I had a Pioneer and had not a single problem with it. Never had Alpine or Clarion, but have heard nothing bad about either of them. I personally don't like the way the Alpine's look, but to each his own. I know you said you need only one pre-out, but the Clarion has three, which would be useful if you ever plan on getting any more amps.

Pioneer
Dead Link Removed

Alpine
Dead Link Removed

Clarion
Dead Link Removed

hu

I just installed a pioneer deh p740mp in my 93, I got it for the xm ready controls and the stronger head unit amp22w/ch plus plays mp3 and the such, I'll be adding a amp later. I paid 239 for the head unit and 115 for the pm 900x xm receiver. so far seems pretty good. later this week I plan on getting a thunderform 10" and some mtx 6000 convertables for the door.
Back to the head unit, install was a snap what was easy was the smart harness from metra i got the pr2x8-80 pioneer to universal, the 80-5511 ford premium system intergrator and a bypass harness for the factory amp which came in the 70-5511 amp illiminator kit.
It made everything plug and play.
Vic

P.S. the xm thing is pretty cool, I'll never listen to fm again (a least for a while)

Mo,
I have an eclipse and i love it, simple to use and has all the bells and whistles , but i don't think your going to get an eclipse or an alpine new for anything close to what your willing to pay. Forget crutchfield, their prices suck, goto bizrate.com and find what you want and they will give you a bunch of websites and their prices on what your looking for. They also rate their sellers so you know who to trust. I got a couple of things from etronics.com through bizrate. paid 110 bucks for a sony tv remote, crutchfield wanted 199.

i have the alpine 7995. it doesnt have a built in amp.

Originally posted by jssong
i have the alpine 7995. it doesnt have a built in amp.

Thats the deck that I'm about to put in my X... I can't wait to get it put in there...

i was looking through the alpine cd players and really like the 7998, which i would think that is their top of the line cd player, considering it goes up to about 600$ at some stores

heath.. the alpine is awesome..they have a built in time delay.. so ifyou want to compete.. u can, and you can setup the system to focus on just the driver if your alone. or to play for all thepeople in the car. all i need now is navigation with a screen and dvd player

Originally posted by MO_GUY
i was looking through the alpine cd players and really like the 7998, which i would think that is their top of the line cd player, considering it goes up to about 600$ at some stores

Nope, CDA-7990, $3000 MSRP!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

heath.. i believe he was talkin about the 7998.. not 7990.. the 7998 is their top of the line mp3 HU wtihout a built in amp. basically the same thing as the 7995, but with a few more bells and whistles.

Back