1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project

As far as the bulbs being out
Just change them out
Mine were out to

The radio is check the wiring
Maybe the antenna has pulled out
Don't use the dimmer wire
Also to be more specific. Soon as the headlights are off the radio works fine. So It's not an antenna issue, just something happens to the power when the lights are on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also to be more specific. Soon as the headlights are off the radio works fine. So It's not an antenna issue, just something happens to the power when the lights are on.
If you want the radio to dimm with the headlights
You will need to run a wire from your headlight to the new radio wire harness
Don't use the dimmer wire the way it is now

If you want the radio to dimm with the headlights
You will need to run a wire from your headlight to the new radio wire harness
Don't use the dimmer wire the way it is now
I can live without that feature. Think I'll just clip the dimmer wire.

Anyone know where to get a new dimmer switch?

The EX project went for new exhaust today
590B5846-6C38-4562-8BE5-3C6F87F3B0A0.jpeg
5CC7FA07-EAA0-4E3B-AB8B-F83218C7A88E.jpeg 4E9FE214-9DBE-46C7-A263-4086C02C179D.jpeg AD4A59CE-AFBA-45B7-BCAF-AB06E712E60B.jpeg 3DAB8D08-E3B5-4602-AD99-C2A752A1B1A2.jpeg 3A1223E7-F34D-4FDB-A928-52E5C9539EF5.jpeg 09F4348D-B77F-4B96-93EF-C1E3A24ED3A5.jpeg 9A2299EB-0F37-45A5-BFAA-4EB3D3D71A85.jpeg

Got new 2.5” cats, magnaflow DI/SO out muffler. 2.5 in 3in out.

Man, I'll bet cats that are Nevada smog sufficient are like what....? $75 to $125 each ? Here in California you're lucky if you can get one to meet our smog for $500 ! ...and that's the cheap end vehicles! By "strength" of my exhaust was just thinking it would be nice to afford popping on new cats...but at these prices.... not happening.

Man, I'll bet cats that are Nevada smog sufficient are like what....? $75 to $125 each ? Here in California you're lucky if you can get one to meet our smog for $500 ! ...and that's the cheap end vehicles! By "strength" of my exhaust was just thinking it would be nice to afford popping on a new cat...but at these prices.... not happening.
Yeah, that's about right. Parts total was like $475.

Latest update. No pictures. Yesterday we changed the pinion seal, axle bearings, axle seals and gear lube on the EX project. Everything went smoothly. The pinion seal was leaking. But thankfully the pinion bearing looks very good despite the leak. The axle seals weren't leaking at all, we just did the seals and bearings as preventative maintenance. The good news is that the fluid we drained actually was clear and had no metal flakes. Despite the obvious fact that no one has done the diff fluid in a very long time. However upon inspection I found that the parking brake shoes have no linings on them at all. And my local parts store couldn't get me a set quickly enough to replace them while I was doing this job. So I need to deal with that in the very near future.
Next I'm going to service the trans. I'm going to replace the tailshaft seal, tailshaft gasket and the o ring on the speed sensor plug. As well I will perform a "Jmod" and replace the Overdrive servo and reverse servo as maintenance. Of course fluid, filter and pan gasket will be done.

I'm happy to report that the EX is driving daily and is operating very well, and my daughter loves it.
I'm still jealous I don't get to drive it.

Latest update. No pictures. Yesterday we changed the pinion seal, axle bearings, axle seals and gear lube on the EX project. Everything went smoothly. The pinion seal was leaking. But thankfully the pinion bearing looks very good despite the leak. The axle seals weren't leaking at all, we just did the seals and bearings as preventative maintenance. The good news is that the fluid we drained actually was clear and had no metal flakes. Despite the obvious fact that no one has done the diff fluid in a very long time. However upon inspection I found that the parking brake shoes have no linings on them at all. And my local parts store couldn't get me a set quickly enough to replace them while I was doing this job. So I need to deal with that in the very near future.
Next I'm going to service the trans. I'm going to replace the tailshaft seal, tailshaft gasket and the o ring on the speed sensor plug. As well I will perform a "Jmod" and replace the Overdrive servo and reverse servo as maintenance. Of course fluid, filter and pan gasket will be done.

I'm happy to report that the EX is driving daily and is operating very well, and my daughter loves it.
I'm still jealous I don't get to drive it.
Noooo...
You replaced the pinion seal
Did you reset the preload ??
if no then Sadly I think it has a good chance of leaking at that seal
And wiping out the bearings
Pinion preload very important
You can't reuse that crush sleeve period.

Noooo...
You replaced the pinion seal
Did you reset the preload ??
if no then Sadly I think it has a good chance of leaking at that seal
And wiping out the bearings
Pinion preload very important
You can't reuse that crush sleeve period.
Done them 100's of times. It was leaking and needed to be replaced before the bearings were wiped out. Don't forget I'm a professional mechanic. It's all good.

I say from experience
I have done it s few times
I don't have to be a professional mechanic to know how to properly fix something and if you are professional mechanic you should know that
Good luck
Just cause it works don't make it the right way
I'm actually surprised the professional mechanic would do it that way
Keep my comments to my self for the rest of your thread
Suggestions are not welcome Why post

Did you notice that the V8 jumps off the line very well? It's has a lot more grunt than the 4.0 V6's, I believe that torque converter is one of the best Ford has ever used behind a 302.

When I fixed my throttle cable bracket last week, I definitely could feel the difference on initial pedal pressure. My bracket was weak/loose enough that the power had become softer, and I hadn't really noticed it. The V6 of my 99's, the SOHC, it feels faster up at speed, due to the better close ratio 5-speed. But the 5.0 gets a fast head start in the first 60 feet, and the V6 tries to catch up.
That's how my 5.0 Mountaineer is,no matter how you try to ease away from a stop it just wants to run so just learned to live with it and enjoy the power.

I've driven my three 98 302's for about 250k miles, it takes a little time to get used to the sensitive gas pedal. I have them take off fairly gently, unlike when I first got my 98 Mercury in 2003.

As you said, you just get used to enjoying the fast start all of the time, it works great for me on my mail route.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also consider another size, I just put on a set of 255/70/15's, on my stock 15x7" wheels. The diameter is identical to the 235/75's, but they are wider with a shorter profile, more stable handling. I also have a cut on the side of one, just under four months old and I'm about to replace it, a new one just came. The cost was almost $15 more per tire for the different size, but I was trying a new brand as not all brands have that size.
Have been wondering about the short sidewall wider tires (although I really like the tall narrow ones in snow!) Do the sidewalls hold up to potholes? Do you get rim damage more with them? As you have had both and presumably drive a lot in different conditions. Are they better for highway driving than the 235/75/15?

Back