Header Question... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Header Question...

Project GT

Reaction score
Alright well this isn't a normal header question.

I am possibly buying a 95 X that has the OHV V6 in it. And I know that in the 97+ X you get the SOHC v6 option. I owned one in my 97. But I am putting the motor possibly into a 1948 Ford F1

But onto my question. Would SOHC 4.0 Explorer headers bolt up to the OHV 4.0?

And since the 05-10 mustang v6 is the same 4.0 SOHC v6. Would the headers from the mustang bolt up to the heads on the OHV?

I'm more asking if the ports and bolt holes would line up. I'm not worried if they stick out further from the engine.

I only ask because I get more choices on headers and price is alot cheaper. Headers on will be all custom so that's not a problem. Just hoping they'd bolt up to the heads correctly.

If not can I buy header plates somewhere that will fit and allow headers to be made?

Thanks

But onto my question. Would SOHC 4.0 Explorer headers bolt up to the OHV 4.0?
No, they are totally different.

And since the 05-10 mustang v6 is the same 4.0 SOHC v6. Would the headers from the mustang bolt up to the heads on the OHV?
Ditto.

I only ask because I get more choices on headers and price is alot cheaper.
True, because JBA is the ONLY company that makes 4.0 SOHC headers. Although if it makes you feel better, the couple of people I know on the boards who have installed JBA's report little to no improvement because the stock manifolds already flow very well.

If not can I buy header plates somewhere that will fit and allow headers to be made?
None that I'm aware of.

damn alright well thanks.

I just was hoping they could fit but just not in a explorer engine bay.
So far all the exhaust sound clips I've listed to just aren't deep enough. I just was hoping added headers would help.

I might have to reconsider putting the explorer engine in my 48 i guess

Back