• Register Today It's free!

4.0 Header question

TheChadders

Reaction score
City, State
Parker CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I have a 97 4.0 SOHC my question is how do i determine wether or not i have a right or left EGR and whats the difference between the silver ceramic headers or the chrome headers offered at Explorer Express. (http://www.explorerexpress.com/expl...rt=3a&osCsid=5c5c918efcba63e540aa3badfee951ec)

Also is there another brand of headers that make headers for the v6 because all i can find is the shorty headers.

Thanks
TheChadders

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I offer JBA and Gibson headers, both are of the shorty variety. If you would like to know whether you have the driver or passenger side egr, this means the valve is located on either the pass or driver side. If you are unsure just post a pic of both sides of the engine and we can tell you. More than likely it will be a drivers side egr. Email me if you need to know any other information.-

Ok i took some pics of the headers.

IMG_2849.jpg

IMG_2850-1.jpg

By the first pic I'd say drivers side EGR. That metal tube coming off the middle of exhaust manifold is the EGR tube.

As far as chrome goes is it true chrome or Jet Hot Coating. You want the Jet-Hot coating. Chrome will turn blue and will flake off and rust.

I noticed that they sell Torque Monster headers for V8 Explorers/Mountaineers which they list as chrome. These headers are not chrome plated, they are Jet-Hot coated or something similar.

k thanks alot and would the driver side be the right vs left egr is that looking at engine so whould that be right? sorry i am not that mechanically inclined

thanks
Thechadders

Your EGR tube fitting is on the left manifold/header.

Back