• Register Today It's free!

headlight condensation

fireftr

Reaction score
City, State
strongsville,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Limited 4.6
F Y I to all late model Ex owners that have a problem w/condensation on the inside of the headlight lens. Had this problem on mine since last year. When the weather warmed up I drilled a couple small holes thru the bottom of the plastic case. In a couple of days.....Wallla! No more dew drops. The holes let air circulate into the inside and dry it up. Apparently, the problem is caused by the lens seal breaking down and letting moisture in. Now a small amount of air can get in AND out....the basics of circulation. Hope this easy fix helps. Seems when you have a high mileage vehicle (186k), you try to remedy the small problems the easy way first, then move on to more elaborate techniques.

what will happen to those tiny holes in wet weather..or when four wheeling in the mud?

wet headlights

I don't do any heavy off roading with my truck, but there shouldn't be any problem in wet weather as the bottom of the light ass'y is pretty well surrounded by other front end parts. Now, if the holes are too big, then you probably could get some water in there, but of course it will drain out and dry out from the heat of the bulb. I'd say this probably wouldn't work with a muddy, off-road situation. Beats the hell out of buying new lights, though. I did the same thing on a Sable I had, and it worked good then also.

Good idea, so long as you don't go muddin' or go through a deep puddle.

Back