2013 Explorer Headlight condensation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Headlight condensation

beauboy

Reaction score
City, State
Summerville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
I've read numerous threads concerning headlight condensation, but so far, everyone is just guessing or assuming. The two main questions I'm seeing are "Where is the vent located in headlight assembly?" and "What are the usual remedies for this?", yet no one has provided answers, other than replacing the entire assembly or having the dealership fix it. All of the videos I've seen are for headlights other than those on the 2013 Explorer.

Does anyone have answers to these two questions other than replacement or dealership?

I'm interested in trying to use a blow dryer to relieve the condensation in mine, but I'm not sure if directing air into the primary headlight bulb opening would reach the other areas of the assembly. My other option is to use desiccant packages to absorb the moisture, but again, if the main bulb area is isolated from the rest of the assembly, I'd just be wasting my time.

I really don't want to remove my entire front clip to remove the headlight assemblies if I can avoid it.

Thanks to all in advance.

Beauboy

Not just blow dryer but even compressor air can get moisture out. I'd try that first as it seems easier to get that into the back of the headlight mount than a blow dryer?

Might as well try it, though I suspect the issue is that the seams of the assembly have cracked and that needs sealed again, which seems like it necessitates removal. A drain (vent?) should be located at the lowest point in the assembly so water does not pool. You could add one there, but still don't want the water getting in, in the first place.

It would be good to add your '13 to your profile or sig as I almost didn't notice we are in the 5th gen forum and would not have known you were talking about a '13 if you hadn't mentioned it.

Welcome to the 5th gen Forum Beauboy. :wave:
Is it just one headlight or both? As per the manual, some condensation is normal. I'm guessing you fall into the"unacceptable" part.

"These are examples of acceptable condensation:
• Presence of thin mist (no streaks, drip marks or droplets).
• Fine mist covers less than 50% of the lens.

These are examples of unacceptable moisture (usually caused by a lamp
water leak):
• Water puddle inside the lamp.
• Large water droplets, drip marks or streaks present on the interior of
the lens.
Take your vehicle to a dealer for service if any of the above conditions of
unacceptable moisture are present."

Peter

Thanks J_C and Peter for the speedy replies. Currently, I just have condensation in the Right headlight. Left side is clear. I'll give a shot to the compressed air first and see what kind of progress I can make. Should that fail, I'll start the removal procedure.

You guys are the best.

Back