• Register Today It's free!

Headlight Control Module

NATHANB

Reaction score
City, State
INDIANAP[OLIS. INDIANA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 EDDIE BAUER
Is the headlight control module the same thing as the lamp out warning module, or am I looking at two different things? I have no fog lamps and no low beams, but my high beams are fine. It started with the fog lamps. Honestly I ignored that 'cause I have little need. Then the driver side low beam went. I couldn't find the source, so I jumped a wire from the passenger side. that worked for a few weeks. Now both lows are out. A thread from back in November had the same problem, but I can't find the final resolution.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't believe there is such a thing as "headlight control module"... maybe "autolamp" which works off your "mirror area" to auto turn on your lights. The "LOM" (lamp out module) is likely your problem. Although usually when you lose your fogs, you also lose your right side low. The left side low is on a different output. By jumpering them, you probably put more load on the LOM and "blew it up" worse... if that it is possible / understandable...... or possibly you have a bad connector either at the module or at a junction towards the fogs / right side.

Lamp out module is located under the lip of the center console on the passenger side just about under the oil change reset. Wiggle the connector and your lights will probably start to function temporarily to verify that is it.. If you take the module out, Ford wants $600 to fix this, you will find it is a printed circuit board. With a magnifying glass you will probably find hairline fractures in the solder joints also known as cold solder joints along a line where the connector is soldered in. I was able to completely repair mine by resoldering those six, I think, connectors. I had to use two magnifying glasses, sometimes trifocals don’t get you there, but it is doable and you will save at least $600.

Lamp Out Module Resolved

It was definitely the Lamp Out Module. I didn't attempt to repair the Module itself, just picked up a new one from the dealership. That took three tries before they knew what it was, but I found one for $62.00. Replacing it was easier than I expected. Taking off the jump wire between the lights I installed was the hardest part. Thanks for the advise. 212,000 miles and going strong.

Lamp Out Module Resolved

It was definitely the Lamp Out Module. I didn't attempt to repair the Module itself, just picked up a new one from the dealership. That took three tries before they knew what it was, but I found one for $62.00. Replacing it was easier than I expected. Taking off the jump wire between the lights I installed was the hardest part. Thanks for the advise. 212,000 miles and going strong.

Where did you find the module for $62?

Back