Headlight question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight question

Frogi

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 police interceptor
Bought 2016 PIU from auction. It was de-policed and no headlights so I bought a pair of headlights without the ballasts. I put a pair of 9005 halogens in them and turned on the light switch but it only turns on the little yellow outer sides of the headlights. Then I turned on the steering wheel dimmer switch which turns on the high beams. Checked all the fuses and relays. At this point, I couldn't be able to turn on low beams for driving at night. I posted on regular discussion but someone suggested that maybe wiring is different than civilian ones. Did the continuity test on the wires from battery to both headlight connectors, all fine. Any suggestions anyone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bought 2016 PIU from auction. It was de-policed and no headlights so I bought a pair of headlights without the ballasts. I put a pair of 9005 halogens in them and turned on the light switch but it only turns on the little yellow outer sides of the headlights. Then I turned on the steering wheel dimmer switch which turns on the high beams. Checked all the fuses and relays. At this point, I couldn't be able to turn on low beams for driving at night. I posted on regular discussion but someone suggested that maybe wiring is different than civilian ones. Did the continuity test on the wires from battery to both headlight connectors, all fine. Any suggestions anyone?

9005s are high-beams only, so you still need ballasts to make the low-beam LEDs work. That's why your high beams are working, but the low-beams are not.

LED bulbs do not require a ballast. They generally use a driver module which does many of the same things as a ballast, just more effectively.

If your headlamps don't have the lighting control module, you will probably need to get that for them to work.

This is the first I've heard of a department removing entire headlamp assemblies as part of their decommissioning process.

LED bulbs do not require a ballast. They generally use a driver module which does many of the same things as a ballast, just more effectively.

If your headlamps don't have the lighting control module, you will probably need to get that for them to work.

This is the first I've heard of a department removing entire headlamp assemblies as part of their decommissioning process.

Mine actually got the strobe left in the headlamp (they cut all the wires tho). He might got a better deal without the lamps.

The answer to his question really depends on what type on lamp assembly he got. Maybe he can post a pic or more information.

Mine actually got the strobe left in the headlamp (they cut all the wires tho). He might got a better deal without the lamps.

The answer to his question really depends on what type on lamp assembly he got. Maybe he can post a pic or more information.
Cut wires and general half-assery in the decommissioning process is my experience as well when I was looking at used PIUs and from what I've seen of others.

PIU headlamps are not cheap from ford parts (>$1K/pr). I hope the OP got a deal...

Cut wires and general half-assery in the decommissioning process is my experience as well when I was looking at used PIUs and from what I've seen of others.

PIU headlamps are not cheap from ford parts (>$1K/pr). I hope the OP got a deal...

And it's a headache when I was trying to figure out what the wires are for and most of them were cut half way (so I have the replace the whole wire if I wanna reuse it.)

Back