Headlight question 2016 PIU | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight question 2016 PIU

The LED strip around the headlight is not the DRL. As mentioned before, that is the Signature Lighting. DRL is on the LED low beam on a proper setup. To pass an inspection I'm sure that you would need to have both low and high beams working. Why not take it to an automotive electrical shop and have it fixed the right way?

Peter
Can’t drive the car anywhere since it doesn’t have plates and they won’t give me temporary tag till I’ll pass the inspection. I have a permit to drive the car to inspection place on the day of inspection only. You would say take the car to shop by towing it but that would be above $200. The car came with a lot of challenges which was expected since It was crashed car from auction.

They are just lights, so there is no reason they couldn't be re-wired to work. It would be like wiring up auxiliary lighting - run power to them through a relay and find a signal wire off the headlamp switch that will trigger the relay - not sure how they will work without a driver module though). I have no idea if any modification would pass whatever inspection you need them to pass - you would need to determine that.

PIU headlamps do not have signature lighting. I'm not sure what headlamps you bought, but if they are retail headlamps with signature lighting, I'm not sure if those can be made to work on the PIU or if the headlights will work, just not the signature lighting part. Maybe jmr or someone else can confirm.

Best of luck.
Thank you for all the help. The headlights came with signature lighting and they are not PIU. I have seen a government explorer (had city plates) which only had white middle lights on as low beams without the low beam lateral housing being turned on. Could have stopped him on the road and asked him. Again thank you for your suggestions.

...........Don’t care about the drl( the strip that goes on around the headlight). Just the low beam box( although That one is LED too) or if I could somehow convert the high beam halogen to low beam LED for nights). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

Sounds like there might be differences between the headlight units for PIUs vs Explorers. If you bought Explorer headlight units and installed them in your PIU, that may be the cause of the problem. In other words, you might have bought the wrong part?

Back