headlight timer lasts too long | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

headlight timer lasts too long

jola96exp

Reaction score
City, State
fla
Year, Model & Trim Level
My wife has a '96 sport, 6cyl, all stock.
I noticed recently my headlights stay on about 5 minutes or more after shutting off the truck.
The slider on the mirror is all the way to the left and does not shorten the time or even turn off the timer feature.
At this point it's not a big deal because they do eventually go off but I suppose they may decide one day to not go off.
I just don't know where to look for the source of the problem.
I should add that the slider seems very loose, almost sloppy on the mirror but it's always been that way.
Thanks for any help.
John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the slider or contacts inside is/are junk... Probably moving nothing inside there...

Thanks Joe, that was the fastest reply in the history of the internet!
Are the contacts fixable? if so, can you give me some guidance?

Ditto, the mirror should be swapped. Be sure to get the kind which matches the glass mounting design. Before 95 I believe, all Fords use a set screw, the later junk just presses on. I like the set screw type much better, it gets tight. My 98 vibrates a little and cannot be made any tighter.

FYI, on my 99 I abused the auto function of my 93 Limited mirror(I have a 91-94 windshield) . I covered the sensor and wired the power to my oil pressure switch. My lights come on automatically with the engine, and shut off when oil pressure drops. It's much less trouble to operate.

You could try popping it apart, but I would imagine something in there needs some resoldering, so if your any good with a soldering iron, id say go for it:thumbsup:

Geez, I cant' post a quick "thank you" before getting another reply.
I guess a new mirror is the best way to go.
Thanks to you both, and anyone else who may respond before I can get this posted. :)

I'm slacking. :)

Yes, new mirror is the way to go... When you get it though, you might pop the other one open and see what the issue was and post up a couple of pics...

That'd be cool, hell, maybe even figure out how to fix it and make a writeup:)

I hope that didn't sound like I was complaining. Quite the opposite.. you guys are great! Thanks.

No sir....were glad to help! :D

Back