Headlight will not work but blinkers do | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight will not work but blinkers do

Elyguy1982

Reaction score
City, State
Catonsville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
Hello. I have a 2015 Explorer Limited with factory HID headlights. I purchased a set of Headlight Housings from a 2015 Explorer Sport which have a black bezel as opposed to the stock housings that have a chrome bezel aound them. I did this because I have pretty much de-chromed my limited. My problem is the Sport headlights I purchased are Halogen. When I plugged them in only the blinkes would work but not the headlights. A local shop told me it could be the way the connectors are pinned? I would love to get the Halogen housings to work on my Limited (They look so much better) and then replace with LED's. Any ideas on what needs to be done is greatly appeciated.

There are probably HID driver modules that likely will need to be by passed. Re-pinning the connectors may also be needed. I just purchased a Dealership wiring diagram service manual on eBay for my 2014.

Most LED retrofit conversions are cheap Chinese junk, and IMO HID is better than halogen.

I would have the local automotive wrap shop cover the chrome on the original headlight housings.

Vehicles with HID headlights usually use a ballast to regulate the current. That may be part of your issue. HIDs also have a higher fuse rating.
Also, from a functionality standpoint, replacing HID with Halogen is a step backward.

Peter

Back