Headliner coming apart, how to fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headliner coming apart, how to fix

jay1028

Reaction score
City, State
N.E Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT V8
I ordered new headliner from WLS a few days ago. Wanted to get ahead of the game and took down the headliner. No to bad a job and due to the warm weather here in Fla, no plastic pieces broke. Everything came apart faily easy. The T50 seatbelt bolts were hard to initially brake lose due to the thread locker.

Attached are photos. This headliner is made up of layers of fiberglass. The layers are not coming away from the headliner uniformly and I have read that the headliner needs to be smooth and not stratified like it is getting or it will show when you glue down the replacement.

Any ideas on what to do with this mess? Do I really need to have it all perfectly leveled?

DSC02958_1.jpg

DSC02957_1.jpg

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After 3 hours of scrubbing with a stiff wire brush, got all the old headliner off.

Now how to fix the areas where the fiberglass has come off with old material? Any Suggestions?

DSC02963.jpg

Anyone, ideas? I need to finish this job.

Finished.
Got headliner from WLS. Strongly suggest you spend the $17 for an extra can of spray adhesive. The cans of 3M specify three applications of adhesive 5 mins apart. Good thing I ordered two cans because it took all of the first can and 90% of the second can. One can will not do the Explorer. WLS supplies plenty of material, I had 4 feet leftover after trimming. I selected a light blue instead of the stock light gray.

DSC02997.jpg
DSC02994.jpg

Looks good. It is amazing how just a clean headliner will cleanup the look of an interior.

Agree, nice work. :chug:

Although, don't understand WHY light blue? :confused:

Wanted something different. The colors are not exactly correct from the camera. The visors are the same gray as the plastic trim and not the color in the photo. The headliner is actually closer to gray than blue, like a blue/gray. The green color of the vehicle, Medium Willow, is shown much lighter than it really is. Maybe I should have fixed it all in Photoshop. Shot with a Sony Cybershot.

Back