Heat Shield Rattle!!! How to fix?

jsun

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport SOHC 4x
Peeps,

I have noticed a rattle under the truck at cold idle after already having the engine pulled to replace the timing chain guides and cassettes. As I crawled underneath I had noticed the rattle to be coming from the muffler heat shield.

The Q is.... Should I just remove the heat shield or is there a fix to this that someone can recommend?

Thanks in advance!

J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just take it off.

You could also get a big hose clamp from the plumbing supply and wrap it up. That's whats holding mine on.

I thought I had the same problem, so I took off the heat shield, and the rattle is still there. To make it worse, the first time I drove through cold water with a hot exhaust, it snapped in two. And I'm still trying to track down the noise. In short, I'd double-think removing the heat shield.

Originally posted by woodychitwn
I thought I had the same problem, so I took off the heat shield, and the rattle is still there. To make it worse, the first time I drove through cold water with a hot exhaust, it snapped in two. And I'm still trying to track down the noise. In short, I'd double-think removing the heat shield.

That shouldn't happen. What about when it rains, or hits puddles...the heat shield does not cover your whole pipe.

If the heat shields are in good shape then I would recommend the hose clamp method. (this is what a Ford dealer would do). Otherwise I would remove them if they're rotted out...

Your pipes would need to be in poor shape combined with a speedy trip through a deep puddle to cause one to break...Just my $0.02...

i had this problem recently and i thought it was my heat shield rattling. it wasn't. at the front of the leaf springs, the front meaning the part you can see if you get down and look on the side of your X right in front of the rear tires, there is a bracket of sorts that is there to hold the leafs together. i think it's really nothing but a precaution i guess. anyway, it was sliding around a few inches back and forth and that was the rattle. i placed in in one spot and jb welded it all around. now it's firm and problem is better than it was anyway, and no rattle. hope this helps.

Great feedback gang!!!

Will try the strap method seeing as though the shield it self is in fairly good shape...

What type of hose straps are these? & where can I buy them(auto/home hardware shops)?

Also, I will check into the leaf spring clamps and such to ensure all is "good & tight"...:D

Bottom line is...I'll be under the truck this weekend shaking the heck out of everything to ensure I have this fixed!!!

Cheers,
J

oh the first gens (not sure about the newer models) there is also a heat shield on the downpipe, that was rattling on mine. I had my muffler guy tac weld it back to its bracket when I had my muffler installed. It has since came loose and is doing it again though. :( but anyway, enough of my useless dribble, check the heat shield on the downpipe while your at it.

Wrap a string around the heat shield and then measure the string to see the approx clamp length you will need.
Get the hose clamps at a hardware store (Home depot or Lowes). They are stainless steel and will be in the plumbing dept.. They come in various sizes, but they can be attached to one another to make any size clamp you need... Don't overtighten the clamps when in place, otherwise you will crush the shield onto the exhaust negating the positive shielding effect.

Back