Headliner

kubben

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1974 XLL
My headliner is sagging a tad bit.
Anyone know a quick fix or do I have to take it off and redo the whole thing?

If I have to take it off, has anyone done it and is it pretty hard?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump

I wondered the same thing because I wanted to take mine off, but from what I've been informed, and seen in other cars is that it is glued or stuck on in the middle and cliped in spots on the outside.

Depending on where it's sagging, You might try and pull it from the closest side and try sticking double stick tape or some form of glue for a temp. fix. I would try double stick tape first. make sure you get a good kind that will stick in all temp ranges your vehicle will be in. I have used velcro and double stick tape for tons of things. hanging things, like the headliner is difficult because you can't use gravity to help it hold so you'll have to brace it up for....um...like a long time :) else it will keep falling and never stick.

not that it's the best solution, just a cheap starting point.

Is the headliner in an Explorer?

I just took mine out. It was pretty easy. Of course I already had all of the side panels out.

That is a common GM problem , but I am not aware of Ford having this problem.
Any way , there really is no way to fix it. ( at least not GM ) the glue disolves over time and leavs so much crap in it's wake that there is nothing for the glue to bond to.
Like Mahieber said , it comes out realitively easy. ( bout an hour for the remotely talented ) give it to a nice upholestery shop.

I solved this problem

on an 89 Jeep. I planed long thin strips of wood slighty longer than the width of the car. I then bowed them up from the plastic trim like the wooden strips used to support boat covers. They were painted in the same color as the headliner. The Jeep used five of them. You just don't notice them. If you don't want to match the origional color, you could go with the post and beam look. This works for other cars too. For Saab and Volvo owners, I suggest a danish finish.

Back