• Register Today It's free!

Headrest won't go down!

goalkeeper21986

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Sport '99
One of my rear headrests won't go down, after some force I can get it to go a few notches from all the way extended, but no further, any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry for the silly questions, but is that the right headrest for the seat? did you remove them all and maybe picked up the wrong one? I don't know how many seats you have, fill me in...

Or was it never removed, and now just won't lower?

It's the headrest that came with the car when I bought it used from Ford two years ago. It hasn't been removed, but I think it got stuck when I tried to remove it to fold the back seats all the way down.

Not good... well, if your seats are like mine, that little latch/button on the side of the o-ring sometimes will jam. I don't recommend this, but what I do is hold the latch down with on thumb and pound the headrest into the seat or slap the underside until it comes out. Just don't get pinched.

my 01 sport had same problem...there is NO release button. I finally got it by using excessive force. you cant push too hard. Its metal on metal. spray some wd40 on the shafts...and jam down on it.

particularly easy after fight with spouse....

or after seeing kid's report card... :)

so step 1) get spouse and kids

...looks like my headrest won't get fixed for quite some time (i'm still in college)...haha

but thanks alot i'll try it and see how it goes and let ya know.

Thanks!

avoid step 1 :) (jk)

On my sport some of the packaging plastic had gotten stuck under the plastic trim. I pried up the trim gently thinking the rods were bent but I ended up picking out some plastic. Much easier now...

:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

I recently bought another 2000 Sport....God help me....:)
and both rear headrests are stuck in the highest position.
Obviously the previous owner couldn't get them down.

There's no release button that I can see.

Is using force the only way to lower them? I don't
want to break anything; too much to fix already....:)

Thanks,
ROE

Back