heater/defroster function w/ rear heat | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

heater/defroster function w/ rear heat

hooligan

Reaction score
City, State
the nutmeg state
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I posted this under the general issues and got no response, being new here I thought I was in one place and wound up posting in the wrong one, so lets see if I get any input posting here.

HI I am new to posting here but I have been reading the threads for hours, here is my delemia, I think i have a problem with the heater in the 05 explorer. Here is where I am:
in the heat mode, the fan on 4 (HI) the temp on HOT and the selection knob on panel, i get heat out of the panel, and some out of the floor registers
Everything the same but the selector in panel/feet there is no difference. If I select feet, I get alot of heat out of the feet registers, and some out of the defroster, if I select feet/defroster, I get no difference, in full defrost i get no difference. It is as if I have two options the left side of OFF in the panel and the feet, and on the right side of the OFF I have feet and defroster. I have taken it all apart, the two selector vacuum actuators are working, the electric motor is actuating the door for the temp correctly, it seems that the door actuated by the floor actuator, never closes off the floor completley, I understand this may be for the rear heater ducts but I would think that the selector would direct the air as per the knob? I also was able to stick my fat little finger in the floor duct when the door is closed.

do I have an issue? It seems that everything is operating correctly but the air is not going where it should...........

Back