• Register Today It's free!

Heater / Defrost not working

upjeff

Reaction score
City, State
Lakewood, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS
When I turn on the heater or defrost all of the air still comes out from the console vents and not the floor or defrost vents.
Any ideas

Jeff
2003 XLS
135,000 miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont want to scare you but it sounds like a blend door to me. Its the part that changes the flow of air to each section.
I wasnt getting any flow on max AC. and my blend door was broken.

Luckily my extended warranty covered it.
Got the explorer back today and was really happy, what a difference. The bad part is the labor to replace it.
The blend duct on my bill was $46.
Labor on my bill was $650 believe it or not. 7 hrs it took to make a total of $696 plus tax.

Ouch ....on that labor. Of course I am not under warranty with 135,000 miles. Looks like a job I am going to have to tackle myself.

Jeff
2003 XLS
135,000 miles

Ouch ....on that labor. Of course I am not under warranty with 135,000 miles. Looks like a job I am going to have to tackle myself.

Jeff
2003 XLS
135,000 miles

It wont be easy when it takes a ford tech 7 hrs.
They told me the whole dash comes out. I kinda see why when the air box is the farthest thing under the dash. If you do a search on here for adding the automatic climate control, you will find reference to a guy who added it to a ranger. This blend door is something he had to change because the automatic climate control has a power driven door where the regular climate control is vacuum driven. In that article there are pictures etc on how he removed everything to get at this door. I just cant find it at the moment, but if I do Ill post it here.

Oh and by the way, it could also be a leaky vacuum line. Others reported that somewhere under the hood. So it would be best to pick up a service manual on ebay, the actual ford manual, and it will have the diagnostics for this problem.

Back