heater problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

heater problem

cfo20

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, IN--IU almost made it! Maybe next year.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2wd Sport
I know that there are already many posts on this subject, but I still need some info. My heater doesn't heat up hot enough, and it takes forever to even get a little heat. I just replaced the radiator and thermostat last March. Is it possible that the thermostat went bad already? I checked the heater core, and it isn't leaking. I was just going to replace the thermostat, heater control valve, heater core, and all hoses plus a full cooling system flush in the process. I don't think that any of these parts are really that pricey either. Anyone have any thoughts? Also, what is the best way to perform the cooling system flush?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I paid $18 for a control valve, but you could probably by-pass it with some copper tubing to see if that is the problem.

If you haven't flushed your cooling system within the last two years then your best bet is to go and spend $4 on a bottle of cooling system flush and do it yourself. It does wonders.

You should drain enough coolant out of your rad to enable the bottle of flush to go in. Run engine for 10 minutes with heater wide open (assuming your vehicle was at normal operating temp when you started this process) at a little bit higher idle than normal to heat the engine up quicker and move the fluid through faster. Empty out rad, reserve bottle and take the drain plug out on the bottom of the engine. Turn on garden hose and run through rad until fluid coming out bottom of engine is clear. For insurance sake I always fill the rad and cooling system up with tap water and run for a few minutes to make sure I have circulated and removed all the system flush from the top of the water jacket as well. Put back together and fill with mixed coolant.

Also another thing you may want to try is start to your vehicle, get up to normal operating temperature and then turn the heat temp lever all the way to cold and then back to hot. You should feel tension on the cable and hear a flap gate open and shut as you move the lever. After you move the lever the air should be warmer. Hope that helps.

Do you have enough coolant in your radiator?? I just found out that if you don't have enough coolant in the radiator, the coolant won't reach the heater core.

heater

There is enough coolant in there, and I turned the temp control back to cool and then back to warm, and I felt tension and heard the gate, but the air was still only semi-warm. I am going to probably do the system flush this weekend and change the stat in the process, but I still have a question, where is the plug located that I need to remove to drain the engine block? (the radiator is no problem to drain). Also, I am positive that my current heater core is an aftermarket, would it be wiser to replace it with a OEM motocraft instead? Anyone know how much the OEM core costs?$

Back