• Register Today It's free!

Hello again from Far East TN

BlueBloodReb

Reaction score
City, State
Far East TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford exp
Its been a while since I first joined and I am not sure I even posted an intro. To save U members from me retelling boring personal details just feel free to ask me (almost) anything, however I will include a few details. I am an older male from way far east TN, western NC is a few miles away, as is Bristol VA/TN (home of the famous or infamous to some of the European Formula types, NASCAR speedway). Well, I own a 92 ford explorer which I was close to parting out after a bunch of jeep guys and other off roaders' around here said it was basically 'trail trash'.

I had no idea that there was a 'following' for the Explorer, and that the old reliable beast can be made into a capable off road performer. The running gear is perfect and it is a Canadian build. So the (first items) build plan is as follows; Its not my daily driver, but will have to be 'road legal'. I think the rear diff is a limited slip. I think it was the last or close to the last truck frame explorer? And get this; under the back seat there is a Motorola black box with telephone jacks, and what looks like a coaxial cable outlet. It also had a tele window antenna. Anyone know what it is? Additional mods I plan on is sawsawing' in a set 33 to ? mudder or swamper type tires on (15 or 16" old school rims instead of 17"+ rims), an airlocker front diff, and a set of good BBK headers I already have. I also plan on painting the beast with truck bed liner inside and out, black (outside and green inside). The reason for the headers and maybe some minor engine upgrades is the bigger tires. It does already have excellent power for a six though.

So, any ideas? Criticisms? I hope to be more active this time around....

Nothing wrong with "hooking" up a 92 explorer to do better on the trails. Also where your at there probably are plenty of trails in the mountains out there. I have been to GWNF and it's a nice trip.

All that being said you will need some lift to clear those tires. Cheap alternatives are F150 Front spring seats (2" front) and add a leaf and extended shackles in the rear (about 3" together ). With those and a Sawzall you can fit 33s. A body lift will give you more room but you won't gain any ground clearance. Do a little research and you will find everything you need on this site.

Welcome.

Back