• Register Today It's free!

Hello All! new car new questions

Evilution

Reaction score
City, State
NW Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 volvo 740 wagon 5.0
I have a few questions for you explorer experts. Now I must admit I do not have an explorer, I have a volvo. However it has a 99 explorer 5.0/4r70w swap. And well I thought I knew 5.0's but turns out I still have questions.

1. Just how much PTV clearance is there on average on the explorer 5.0? yes I know it varies with every car. I'm asking for a ball park. From what I remember about stangs it was between .500 -.520 usually.

2. Who can tune these EEC-V's no one in houston wants to do it! Emailed fastlane, strictly proformance, and houston performance. No luck at all.

3. How much lift can the stock gt40p springs handle (safely)?

4. I know the explorer intakes rock for 302-306's but if I wanted to go with a TFS or Holley Systemax could I still bolt up the explorer elbow/tb to an aftermarket manifold (I plan on a stroker down the line)?

5. Whats the compression ratio on these motors?

6. Who makes GT40 p headers? part number would be greatly appreciated!

7. Do the 86-93 mustang 5.0 UDP's work with the explorer 5.0 and accessories? If not does anyone make them?

8. does anyone make a supercharger kit for the explorer, or will the basic 5.0 supercharger fit?

9. how much hp will the stock explorer shortblocks hold? RWHP

10. any other differences in the explorer 5.0 vs. the fox and sn95 5.0's? All i know is that the explorer pistons are hyper's. Different heads/intake/tb...and thats about all I know

Thanks so much guys. Sorry for all the questions!

Marty

The Explorer intake is the GT40 intake. No need to loose it. Mustang guys want them.

The UDP pulles from a mustang will not work. The Explorer has shorter pulleys so ithe 5.0 would fit. Mustangs had a distributor. Explorers have DIS.

Headers will need to be custom made. The only headers I know of for the "P" heads are Torque Monster's which are designed for Explorer/Mountaineer only.

James at Henson Performance can tune it. www.hensonperformance.com He is a vendor here and has done many tunes for people here.

The Explorer intake is the GT40 intake. No need to loose it. Mustang guys want them.

The UDP pulles from a mustang will not work. The Explorer has shorter pulleys so ithe 5.0 would fit. Mustangs had a distributor. Explorers have DIS.

Headers will need to be custom made. The only headers I know of for the "P" heads are Torque Monster's which are designed for Explorer/Mountaineer only.

James at Henson Performance can tune it. www.hensonperformance.com He is a vendor here and has done many tunes for people here.

thank you very much i will contact him.

will the sbf hyd roller aftermarket mustang 5.0 cams work? is the firing order the same? do the stock pistons have valve reliefs?

Back