Hello fellow Explorers & rangers

Exploder-Bauer44

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer EB
Some background info on me-

I'm joining this forum because whenever you intend on owning a vehicle simply because you like it, and not because it's actually anything worth owning to the rest of the world, the forums is a place to be. We all have something in common here, and that is a similar based Ford product.

I have been working on vehicles myself for 7 years. When I was 16 my dad bought an Explorer, Eddie Bauer edition. Being 16 and obviously not owning my own ride yet, this is the vehicle me and my friends came to enjoy.
Now I am 23 and the 'family mechanic'. The very same Explorer is still in the family. It's a trooper, been through several accidents, but over the past couple years it's been begging my attention. For awhile now I've been finding all my search results on here, so I figured it's time to join and participate.

Myself, I am a Volvo guy. So if anyone happens to own one of those as their second car, feel free to ask me questions. As much as I like driving the Ford, I actually like working on Volvos, not just driving them.

I had always wanted to buy a Ranger. A nice, not over-sized, 4x4 truck. Gas went over 3 a gallon and now I am a Volvo guy. I am happy with the choice because after seeing the expense of parts for this IRS Explorer.... well...how dare people say Volvos are expensive to fix!

Okay, got a question for you. Would a Volvo 940 2.3L be possible to mount in a Ranger? I want to use forged internals for a turbo build, as well as the DOHC Volvo head. However, I've been told different things on whether or not a Volvo head would fit, exactly, on a Ranger 2.3L Lima block. Also, would a Ford Turbo Coupe exhaust manifold fit on the Volvo block, so that I could be able to use a turbo?

I'm a little confused: Are you looking to do a diesel swap. i.e. put the volvo diesel in the ranger? or do you want to turbo charge the 2.3l gas using the volvo head? either way sounds like a cool mod

Back