HELP - ?? 13k used or new reman 4.0l ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP - ?? 13k used or new reman 4.0l ??

AZExplorer

Reaction score
My 91 4.0 has conquered its last mountain and now R.I.P. in the garage. I found a 96 4.0 Aerostar motor with 13k for $1400. Should I get it or a reman for $1600. For the reman I would have to use my own 10 year old , 150k mile sensors FI, and manifold and stuff.

What do you guys think??

Tough Choice

Never an easy choice.

1) did you get to see the motor run?
Any chance that it was maintaned well? It shoud be at lease 3 oil changes into a normal program by now.
Also, there is a chance that the sensors are not good either if it's been sitting for awhile.

Bottom Line how well do you know the owner of this motor? Any warrenty with it? 5 months later and 10K miles what if something goes wrong.

2) Rebuilt, similar questions, but we'll start with the warrenty. Is it the standard 12 month 12,000 mile deal?
Do they have a good reputation? Can you get any referances? Do they supply any local fleets with motors? What parts do they use to build it? Is it top notch stuff or are they reusing cams & lifters? Will they give you a short tour?

3) Sensor's, They may be low milage but there still 4 to 5 years old. No garrenty that they are good on the 96 motor. May be worth the money to get a diag done after you get it running on whichever motor you choose and have them check the sensors. Haynes manual has some stuff for checking most of the sensors too

Good Luck

Back