Am I using too much power? Alternator Upgrade? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Am I using too much power? Alternator Upgrade?

dogginfox

Reaction score
City, State
Athens, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
I have an '02 XLT and just installed a new 300w Amp for my stereo. I am looking into installing a power inverter (1000w or so). I just have a standard issue battery installed at the moment with a trickle charger port hardwired in to keep the battery topped off ( at least 2x weekly). Im just wanting to know if I need to get a better battery when mine dies or if I need to consider an alternator upgrade to keep up with power usage. Maybe Im within my limits. Please let me know what you think?

About a year ago after the original battery was about 4? years old i replaced it with a new duralast gold. Then over the summer i installed a 200w sub amp, in testing with the key on engine off, i of course drained the battery a few times. Couple of jumps later all seem OK. Then 1-2 weeks later my wife said the dash gages went nuts, radio turned off. Sure enough the battery was shot again, went and bought another battery. Well that lasted only a couple of days and had to be jumped again. I checked the volts running and was only getting 11.8volts i must have fried the alternator with i had to jump it a few times, or it may have been going south since the first replacement battery. Anyways all is fine now, new Batt and Reman Alt. Sometimes if one fails it will take the other with it.

The Alternator puts out 130amps. . .i would think its enough. Someone else might chime in with better insight.

About a year ago after the original battery was about 4? years old i replaced it with a new duralast gold. Then over the summer i installed a 200w sub amp, in testing with the key on engine off, i of course drained the battery a few times. Couple of jumps later all seem OK. Then 1-2 weeks later my wife said the dash gages went nuts, radio turned off. Sure enough the battery was shot again, went and bought another battery. Well that lasted only a couple of days and had to be jumped again. I checked the volts running and was only getting 11.8volts i must have fried the alternator with i had to jump it a few times, or it may have been going south since the first replacement battery. Anyways all is fine now, new Batt and Reman Alt. Sometimes if one fails it will take the other with it.

The Alternator puts out 130amps. . .i would think its enough. Someone else might chime in with better insight.

Just a quick note (and not saying YOU did or didn't do this), but whenever you jump a dead battery and get the car started, it's imperative that the next time you stop your car it's to hook the battery up to a charger to bring it up to full. Alternator's aren't built in battery chargers. ;)

Just a quick note (and not saying YOU did or didn't do this), but whenever you jump a dead battery and get the car started, it's imperative that the next time you stop your car it's to hook the battery up to a charger to bring it up to full. Alternator's aren't built in battery chargers. ;)

great tip, and nope didn't think of it. . .even had the charger in the garage. Moral of the story, toss that charger on before you start farting with the radio. . .

Back