**HELP** 1997 t/case ?? STUCK IN 4L **HELP** | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

**HELP** 1997 t/case ?? STUCK IN 4L **HELP**

97EB

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 4wd EB
Just bought the truck knowing there was a problem, and have no history on the truck. T/ case is in 4L. Start engine, hold brake pedal down and shift trans to neutral, then turn switch to either auto, or 4H. Hear a 'grinding' noise. Turn it back to 4L & it goes from the gringing noise to a 'thunk', and 4L engages. Drives in 4L, with, of course, the associated front end binding. I've read several posts here on stuck T/ case problems, but nothing about the grinding. What does it sound like to you? Does it sound like the actuator motor not allowing it to rotate to Auto, or 4H? Any ideas on a good starting point & which direction to turn from there?

Thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm confused. Are you saying the grinding noise is while shifting or while driving?

The shift motor has nothing to do with the front axle getting power BTW. It only shifts between low and high range.

Sounds like the motor is trying to shift the transfer case, but there's a problem inside the case. Or maybe the motor isn't shifting all the way.

Take the shifter motor off the back of the case. Don't disconnect the wire harness. First try to turn the lever on the tcase. Should be indicators what position you are in. If the tcase does move, then have someone hit the buttons on the dash. I'm betting on the shift motor not working.

Sounds like the shift motor is on its way out, fairly common problem. I believe there is a sticky explaining how to rebuild/clean the assembly.

I'm confused. Are you saying the grinding noise is while shifting or while driving?

The shift motor has nothing to do with the front axle getting power BTW. It only shifts between low and high range.

The grinding noise is when the selector switch is turned from 4L to 4H, or Auto (when sitting still, trans in neutral), then when turned back to 4L it grinds to a 'thunk' back into 4L.

Back