• Register Today It's free!

HELP!! 3rd Generation Blend Door

TOMANDPAT

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Eddie Bauer, '02 XLT
I've got a 2002 Explorer with the manual heat controls. The blower is blowing hard, but no air is coming out anywhere. I'm guessing the blend door or actuator is shot. I've searched all the threads on this forum, and when I look around under my dash, nothing looks like the pictures that I've seen here.I've picked up an actuator from O'Reilly's just to see what it looks like, but I can't see anything under my dash that looks like it. I understand that 2002 was a transition year for the Ex, and mine has a build date of April 2001, so it might be some sort of a hybrid. Do I need to remove the dash, or is there an easier way? It's cold in St. Louis, and the wife is getting surly. Any help would be appreciated. Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One thing I forgot to mention. I reached up under the dash and found a vacuum controlled solenoid. I moved the rod by hand, and was able to get air moving out of the dash vents. Could this mean that my problem isn't the blend door, but some sort of a vacuum leak? If anybody knows, I sure could use the help. Thanks again

Well, with no vacuum the defrost door is suppose to be open. So if you have a vacuum problem it should be blowing out your defrost vents. Are you sure it doesn't blow out there?

I just went out to check, and there is air coming from the defrost vents. Thanks for that. Now, any clue as to where I can start looking? How about that solenoid I can see under the dash? could it be bad?

Okay, then I think it's a vacuum problem and not a problem with an individual door or vacuum motor. First take a look at the vacuum reservoir and hoses that run to/from it. It's the plastic cylinder located up under the dash on the passenger side. Make sure the hoses are ok and connected. See if you detect a vacuum when you disconnect the hose going to the reservoir (from vacuum source).

Next take a look at the back of the function select switch. It is easiest to pry the trim panel from around the radio and climate controls to get access. There are 5 vacuum hoses attached to the back of the switch as follows:

• black hose: vacuum source (from reservoir)
  • white hose: to recirc door vacuum motor
  • blue hose: to floor door vacuum motor
  • red hose: to panel door vacuum motor
  • yellow hose: to defrost door vacuum motor

Make sure the hoses are all ok and properly connected to the switch.

Next trace the hoses to their individual vacuum motors and make sure they are all connected.

Hope you find someone just kicked the hose off of the reservoir. Let us know.

Thanks for that info. I won't be able to check any of this until tomorrow night after work, but I'll let you know what I find

SUCCESS!!! The vacuum line on the reservoiir was loose. I pushed it back in, and we've got heat. Thanks for your help, man, I couldn't have done it without you
Tom

I am having some issues with my 02 Explorer Limited heat as well. It blows out really warm air but my issue is that no matter if I have it set on the face or defrost there is always some coming out of the feet. Any ideas what this could be or could you point me to a thread?

I don't have my Gen. II anymore, but my Gen. III is like that too. I just use the setting that throws the least heat on my leg. I've thought of using a piece of duct tape or something to stop the "hot leg syndrome," but so far I just live with it.

I am having some issues with my 02 Explorer Limited heat as well. It blows out really warm air but my issue is that no matter if I have it set on the face or defrost there is always some coming out of the feet. Any ideas what this could be or could you point me to a thread?

I don't have my Gen. II anymore, but my Gen. III is like that too. I just use the setting that throws the least heat on my leg. I've thought of using a piece of duct tape or something to stop the "hot leg syndrome," but so far I just live with it.

Same problem here...I checked all the vacuum hoses today and all are secure and appear ok...what next?

Blend door pushes open floor door

Anyone figure this out? I finally figured out that the blend door appears to have a tab that pushes on the top of the floor/console duct door and opens it when the blend door is opened all the way (full hot) not sure what this was supposed to accomplish....other than if the position was in anything but floor you wouldn't have any heat going to the rear of the console.

Almost the same issue. I had a thumping noise and changed the vent door actuator. After completing this replacement, (not a waste of time by the way, the gears were stripped), I turned the heat on and it blows hot air at my feet and luke warm air in the deforst vents. I can not get it to switch to defrost only and the control feature for vents does not function. I would appreciate any answers or suggestions that may assist me. I am also getting a quiet clicking noise when I put the heat all the way to hot and turn fan on high. ***** to get the actuator but if I need to go back in it will take me half the time. If this is a help to anyone needing to replace the actuator, I did use the heat treater suggestion. I cut the plastic inside part of the dash to get this done without removing the entire dash board. I am satisfied with the results. Still very rigid and no sqeaks or rattles. When the heat vent actuator goes bad, you will hear a very loud thump, thump...repeating. Bought the part at local auto store. In stock

My issue is odd.

When I switch to the feet blower, air trickles out while air blasts through the defog vents. When I switch to defog, it works as it should. When I switch to the front upper vents, the defog DOES switch OFF so all the air that's supposed to come out the front does.

So, my issue is the defog does not shut off when I select the feet vents and I have very little air coming out the the feet vents. I checked all the vacuum lines and they seem to be fine. I have heat & cold air. Is there a blend door between the defog and feet vents which may not be working properly? Any other ideas?

My first guess would be the vacuum motor.....probably the arm that attatches the door to the motor

Back