Help a girl out, i don't have a clue what to do | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help a girl out, i don't have a clue what to do

KCJones08

Reaction score
City, State
Jonesboro, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4wd
Heres the problem, I bought a used '94 4wd Eddie Bauer Explorer at an auction in hopes of having a decent vechicle to get to and from work. Truck sounded great, drove fine, and came with Air Conditioning, so I bought it. It drove perfect for about a month or so then it started falling apart. Im driving around after my High School graduation and it just died and locked up without reason. Managed to coast to the side of the road and let it sit. It wouldn't start at first but after 15 minutes or so it was fine and I made it home. Went a week and it started to happen every other night and then to the point where it wouldn't start at random times. I could be driving it, park it to go into a store, come back out and it would be dead and refused to start. Parked it for a month or so, tried again, worked fine for a week or two and started again. Then out of nowhere I'm driving down the road on break to go get some food and it did something it had never done before. I stopped at a stop light and I felt something drop in the front end and when I went to go the thing refused to move for a minute or so, it felt like I was in neutral or something. I managed to get it to a lot and turned it off. Started up fine, drove fine for about a hundred feet or so and then it happend again. Later that night after work I went to go get it somewhere where it wouldn't get towed, it drove about 3 blocks and it happend again. So I put it in 2nd and it drove perfect. I don't know what to do, I'm mentally retarded when it comes to cars and i don't want to get ripped off by the mechanic who is telling me my whole transmission replace at somewhere around $2,500. I don't make that kinda cash right now. I just need a general idea, could it just be a gear went out or what? Can anybody help me????:eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site.

The not starting thing sounds like it may be the battery. If the battery looks old and nasty, and especially if it has white crusty stuff around the terminals, it's probaby time for a new one. A new battery is well worth the $50-60 it costs, both for peace of mind, and eliminating it as a cause for other common problems, not to mention the savings compared to having to call for a jump. (Get some jumper cables just the same, though and keep them in the vehicle) Places like Autozone will install it for free, too. You probably don't need a super heavy duty $100 battery, but be sure to get the right replacement size and don't settle for a tiny car size battery that costs the same but has less cranking power.

It's possible the not starting is a transmission issue as well, if it's messed up and the gears don't fully disengage in Park or Neutral to let you start or re-start it, since an auto tranny won't start in Drive/Overdrive/Reverse. The automatic A4LD tranny's in these early Explorers are known for having some issues. I'm thinking if theres an issue, perhaps the vehicle was sold at auction with a temporary fix, and now whatever is wrong is showing up. Unless you know someone who works on cars and is going to give you a deal on labor, you're probably at the mercy of whatever shop you take it to.

Personally I would be replacing the battery, and then doing a transmission fluid change, while checking that all the wiring and hoses to and from the tranny is good, and the battery cables to the alternator and fuse panels are clean.

On a somewhat unrelated note, you might consider trying to sell off the Explorer for more than you paid and get a more economical vehicle for commuting. While you'll find this site an invaluble resource if you decide to keep it, with gas prices being what they are, you may find getting 15-20mpg in a 4x4 SUV isn't quite as easy on the bank account as say, a 35-40 mpg compact car. If you need an SUV and/or the capabilites of a 4x4, the Explorer is a good choice, with the V6 getting good mileage compared to many other SUVs.

you may want to get the alternator checked at auto zone too if its old it may not be recharging your battery but to replace it it will cost over $100

autozone can be a good source for help. I personnally would get the the core problem here. If it is in fact the transmission, I would be looking to sell it as is. It is better to lose a few hundred dollars than pump money into something that will be a bad investment.
A side note would be to have a vehicle checked by a mechanic before you buy it. Unless your buying alot of cars, stay away from auctions.

I had a vehicle that was doing the exact same thing (the dying randomly part). Figured it was haunted. Turns out there was a short going to the fuel pump. You should be able to hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the key but don't start it.

Check engine light ever On?

What codes do you have stored in the PCM?

Check engine light ever On?

Autozone or Advanced Auto should pull your codes for free.

Please report what codes you are able to recover.

PS. Dont replace the battery if it is strong, (the computer resets) there will be no codes until you get a check engine light.

???

Your starting problem could be the starter. Mine did the same thing when mine was going out.

You may also want to check the starter solenoid. (or have someone check it for you)

The tranny issues could be directly linked to the starting issues. Although it could not be linked at all.

Ensure the Automatic Transmission Fluid is not low/empty, this causes the transmission to "slip". Make sure you run the vehicle for a while before checking the fluid. If possible drive it around the block a couple times. The transmission "dipstick" is located on the left side of the engine when facing the front of the vehicle. (Note: The fluid being TOO FULL can cause the same problems.)

If the problem persists, the transmission could be going out. In that case, it may be best to sell it to someone who wants it. (believe it or not, people do love these vehicles, myself included :p:) And buy a more... "economically correct" vehicle.

You said that the front of the vehicle "dropped" can you describe it in more details please? This could be a very important clue if it is what I'm thinking..

I have had the same symptoms twice (randomly dies, not starting) and it turned out to be the fuel pump going out. Eventually it would not start at all and needed a tow to get it replaced. This was on a '84 Blazer, than again on a 2003 Ranger.

As for the transmission I have experienced that too, but on a Chevrolet. The noise was the 2nd gear tang breaking. After that it would start off in first, rev really high until it shifted into 3rd, skipping second. With the broken part and bits of metal by the time I go to the shop it had to be completely rebuilt with a new torque converter.

One thing I've learned over the years, though, is that it could be anything and not at all what happened on someone else's car.

What you need to do is ask other people, friends and relatives for the name of an honest mechanic who will check it out without ripping you off. They do exist.

You've been given some sound advise so far, however there are so many things to check it could take awhile. I have the solution. Go find the guys you knew in school, you know,"the motorheads". Put on the smiles bat the eyes wiggle and jiggle it, work it- work it-work it! In no time all is fixed. See no problem, except what to do with all the hot help when they're done. Welcome to the Forum!!!!!

There is one more thing I thought of, although it a LONG LONG LONG shot...

You could have a broken motor/transmission mount. That would cause the starter to bind when trying to turn over. And could also explain the intermittent nature of the problem.... Simple and cheap enough to fix if you know someone that knows someone that has a welder and welding experience... lol.

But I HIGHLY doubt that is the problem. It's usually something small, insignificant and easily overlooked. Like a fuel pump or faulty wiring or both.

If only mechanics were fair ^_^

I don't know what to do, I'm mentally retarded when it comes to cars
Tell us you've been checking the fluid levels. I don't mean to be unkind but how far does your self description go? We all start some place.
Anything we say is pretty much a WAG.
Could just be me but everything you've described could be a result of low fliuds levels.
A motor low on oil gets real hard to start when hot. But that usually only happens 2 maybe 3 times before true *lockup* takes place.

However, I've seen people drive vehicles with bad head gaskets doing just what you describe. Blow the water out, Let it cool off then start it up and go more. (they knew the head gasket was bad just wouldn't fix it)

I stopped at a stop light and I felt something drop in the front end and when I went to go the thing refused to move for a minute or so, it felt like I was in neutral or something........... it drove about 3 blocks and it happend again. So I put it in 2nd and it drove perfect.

The above sounds like it simply came out of gear, disengaged, yeah, went to nuetral because it's low on tranny fluid. When low on fluid a C-6 won't engage in Drive but it will move just fine in 2nd gear.

What does *lockup*mean to you?

What does "won't start" mean? Does it mean won't turnover? Or motor spins, turns over, cranks, but won't fire and run?

Tell us you've been checking the fluid levels. I don't mean to be unkind but how far does your self description go? We all start some place.
Anything we say is pretty much a WAG.
Could just be me but everything you've described could be a result of low fliuds levels.
A motor low on oil gets real hard to start when hot. But that usually only happens 2 maybe 3 times before true *lockup* takes place.

However, I've seen people drive vehicles with bad head gaskets doing just what you describe. Blow the water out, Let it cool off then start it up and go more. (they knew the head gasket was bad just wouldn't fix it)

The above sounds like it simply came out of gear, disengaged, yeah, went to nuetral because it's low on tranny fluid. When low on fluid a C-6 won't engage in Drive but it will move just fine in 2nd gear.

What does *lockup*mean to you?

What does "won't start" mean? Does it mean won't turnover? Or motor spins, turns over, cranks, but won't fire and run?

I check fluids every week or so because it sometimes leaks every possible fluid out of it. I got the fuel pump checked and it turns out that I've got Chevy fuel lines on my truck, but aside from that my fuel pump is fine. Got the fuel filter changed just in case. Um, "lockup" to me means the wheel locks and my brakes get hard and my gas pedal drops. The won't start part means I get in it and turn the key and I don't hear the fuel pump turn over, it will crank but not as you said fire and run. I don't want to get rid of it cuz I really do love my truck and with the kind of work I do its kinda perfect for me.

You've been given some sound advise so far, however there are so many things to check it could take awhile. I have the solution. Go find the guys you knew in school, you know,"the motorheads". Put on the smiles bat the eyes wiggle and jiggle it, work it- work it-work it! In no time all is fixed. See no problem, except what to do with all the hot help when they're done. Welcome to the Forum!!!!!

Haha, I tried that already but no one seems to have a clue about it. Got an older mechanic that is going to take a look at it sometime next week.

Your starting problem could be the starter. Mine did the same thing when mine was going out.

You may also want to check the starter solenoid. (or have someone check it for you)

The tranny issues could be directly linked to the starting issues. Although it could not be linked at all.

Ensure the Automatic Transmission Fluid is not low/empty, this causes the transmission to "slip". Make sure you run the vehicle for a while before checking the fluid. If possible drive it around the block a couple times. The transmission "dipstick" is located on the left side of the engine when facing the front of the vehicle. (Note: The fluid being TOO FULL can cause the same problems.)
Um, by dropped I mean I literally felt something drop in my car, um hard to explain.
If the problem persists, the transmission could be going out. In that case, it may be best to sell it to someone who wants it. (believe it or not, people do love these vehicles, myself included :p:) And buy a more... "economically correct" vehicle.

You said that the front of the vehicle "dropped" can you describe it in more details please? This could be a very important clue if it is what I'm thinking..

For the 'no start' issue, no one has mentioned the fuel pump relay (in the realy box under the hood) $10 part.

The relays are all the same, you try move a couple around for testing purposes.

Or possibly a bad inertia switch (shuts down the fuel pump in case of accident), under the carpet front passenger side.

good luck, keep us posted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heh you hid your reply inside the quote of my post...

So the entire vehicle dropped? Just the front? Just the rear? Sounds like bad bushings in the suspension... Or something in the drive train binding. Are all four tires the same make/model/size? I'm so curious....

Back