Help!!! Car only starts sometimes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help!!! Car only starts sometimes

zteca_101

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I have a 94 ford explorer that only starts sometimes. It starts cold just fine. Then I drive across town turn it off and it acts like it wants to start but won't turn over. Sometimes it will go a few days and start fine other times it just won't start, but if I leave it for an hour it will start up just fine. I know it's not the battery, the starter, or the alternator. I have replaced the coil too. I have also cleaned the battery terminals too. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you hear the fuel pump come on when you first turn the key? I had an old Chevy that acted like that and it was a short in the wire going to the pump.

i agree sounds lick faulty wiring for the fuel pump or just the fuelpump in general

Where is the fuel pump? I know it's in the gas tank, but where is that. I was told you have to get under the car to hear that, is this true?

no, you can hear the pump while sitting in the driver's seat. once you turn the key you should hear the pump for about 2-3 seconds. i read on another site earlier that its possible for a pump to work intermittently like this before it actually goes completely out.

Sorry I'm not very good with cars. Should I turn it on to where the radio comes on and listen there? Or turn it on all the way?

Hey zteca! Usually fuel pumps just die, that's my experience. If you can start it sometimes, you might have additional issues or another problem... not saying it's not the fuel pump, but you might want to list some other maint'nance you've done or not done recently besides what's in the first post... :) good luck!

Turn it all the way like you are going to start it but don't start it. I never heard mine until I actually started listening for it.

i have heard aswell that they can some times work and then others not, if it is going bad, granted they can fail at any time with no problem, but this sounds like a fuel problem deff.

The only things I have done to it are the things I have listed in my previous post. Is there any way to test the fuel pump to see if it is bad? Thanks again

Back