• Register Today It's free!

help!!! common a/c problem

exploded302

Reaction score
City, State
south florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer limited v8
hey guys im new here. i bought a 1996 fully loaded limited explorer for $250 from somebody who thought it was done but it was in great condition. i love the thing.

The point: the blower fan resistor is toast but everywhere i go i get this coil looking resistor but thats not what mine has as a resistor. im 100% sure i am looking at the right part so we can cancel that out. does anyone know of where i can get one that just plugs in or do i need to do some custom rigging? i cant even seem to find a picture of the ugly little resistor i have.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As long as the connector is the same, don't work about it. The coil resistor is a older style than the thin film resistor that you have, but is probably more reliable.

the connectors are completely different.

Sounds like it's time to go to the junkyard then....

the thing about the junkyard is that it is so common for the resistors to fail that i may get lucky the first try or ill have to try 10 times before i find a good one. not to mention the fact that mine is something different than all of the others. we all know there are differences from the 96 to say a 99 for an example. i also think that because i have the crazy hi-tech a/c panel that there is a different resistor but i could be completely wrong.

If you have the electronic control (EATC), it uses a different resistor (known as the Blower Motor Speed Controller) than the one with the 3 knobs.

You have a electonic display, not the base model! Well that explains a lot. you do not have a blower motor resistor. It is a solid state module that controls the fan speed. The module should have 5 wires O/BK, BR/O, W/PK, T/O, AND BK.

So starting from the begining, does the fan run at all? If not unplug the module, and jump the O/BK wire to grd. Still no fan, then measure across the fan motor to see if you have 12 volts. Have you checked to see if the fan motor is good?

The electonic temp control troubleshooting needs to be approached differently than the old fashion fan control, they are two entirely different systems

found it:

To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTOMATIC button within two seconds . The display will show a pulse tracer going around the center of the display window. The test may run as long as 30 seconds . Record all DTCs displayed.

post DTCs.

I second the suggestion to test the system first. There could be a problem in the control unit, the speed controller, the blower motor itself, or in the wiring.

First run the module self test as TheJackel suggested and post and codes. Here's a summary of them:

022, 024 - Blend door actuator shorted
025 - Blend door actuator not responding properly
030 - cabin temp sensor shorted (either wiring or bad sensor)
031 - cabin temp sensor not connected or failed (open circuit)
040, 042 - outside (ambient) sensor shorted (wiring or bad sensor)
041, 043 - outside (ambient) sensor not connected or failed (open circuit)
050, 052 - solar radiation sensor shorted
115, 125 - bad/no data from vehicle network
888 - self test passed

Unfortunately the self test does not really test the speed controller, but it should more or less rule out the control unit. If the EATC control unit passes the test, then move on to the blower motor as Dilbert5 suggested. It wouldn't hurt to check continuity of the 3 control wires between the EATC control unit and the speed controller as well.

I don't have my schematics handy, but you may want to take a look at http://www24.brinkster.com/sdhartney/linc/linc.htm to get a copy of your service manual. The schematics are great to have in a situation like this.

The solid state modules do occasionally go bad, but it's not that common. You *might* be able to find a cheap replacement at the junk yard, or someone on Craigslist parting out an Ex or Mountaineer with the EATC system. They should be available from the dealer (make sure to ask for the blower speed controller for the EATC system), but count on it being rather expensive.

wow. alot of info to handle in one shot. the fan blows and my blower speed control module is rusty and corroded. ill still run the diagnostic scan and post the dtc's. check back in a few hours. :thumbsup:

We'll be here waiting for the results :D

If the control module is all rusty, I would sugest starting with checking the connector, cleaning the contacts. Then run all the tests like The Jackel suggests. Of course if any water has gotten inside the module, it may be damaged.

i was going to run the diagnostic but got caught up in fixing my mustang because it is my daily, not the explorer. im going to try the diagnostic scan today. also went to the junkyard and not a single explorer had the fancy schmancy eatc system. im going to check the stealership for thier price on the module.

Back