HELP... difference between 99-01 Limited and XLT Grille??????? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP... difference between 99-01 Limited and XLT Grille???????

PUR PONY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
Ok- I have a 96 Limited I am doing an undate to.... I just installed a 99-01 front bumper and
bumper cover. I am going to install a new grille also ..... I know the limited grille is painted and the XLT is
chrome. But I would paint the XLT body color anyways.

what I want to do is get the SPEEN GRILLE for it but so far I found it for the 2000 XLT and thats it.
Is the shape and design different between the 99-01 XLT and limited??? or is it the same EXACT grille... just painted vs. chrome.

thanks
Marc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just to let you know also, The XLS grill is also painted to match the body color like on the limited. The bumber is different on the XLS compaired to the limited.

I need to slow down on my typing or use spell check next time, :)

I believe if you install the '98 to '01 grill, the "honeycombs" behind the actual grill will obstruct the secondary latch release because I believe the latch release is located right behind the grill, as oppose to above the grill. I hope I'm right.

'96explorereddiebauer:

you know- you are right. I thought about that a while back and completely forgot.... if I put a speed grill in I wont be able to get to my hood latch.... the 95-97 is in the grille unlike the 98+

Could I just install the 98 hood latch?????

my dad has a 98 limited that he is going to sell....

could I just swap the latches and stuff????

I have to go look at that- thanks for bringing that up-

Marc

Thanks guys for the input. I have the 01 black front bumper cover and just picked up the 01 black grille today. I am still waiting for the bumper supports - should be in tomorrow but I wont be able to pick them up till moday. I also just swapped the latches off my dads 98... so I am all set. Now I can get that all installed and get a speed grille like i always wanted...and now from the front my truck looks like a 2001 limited instead of a 96.

I do have the complete front bumper with lights and everything for sale... and the grille also.. off a 96 black limited.

ill post some pics of my project when im done....

What did the supercharger cost ya?

Pur Pony,
I know this isn't about the tread but I was wondering how much the supercharger cost you, if it replaced the upper plennum (sp), and where did you get if. What kind of HP increase did you get from that alone?
I was just wondering I basically have the same truck.
Thanks

Back