help got water on my air filter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help got water on my air filter

R

rydinhigh

On my way to work I went through a massive puddle that I didn't see. A couple minutes later I pulled in the garage at work, turned my truck off, and popped the hood. Low and behold my air filter had some water on it. Im just wondering how bad this is. Also if some water actually got through the filter and into my engine what could happen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, lots of things could happen. 2 noticable things might be that your truck may sputter a bit and smoke but then run normally. Or it may totally quit due to hydrolock. Probably nothing will happen since you drove it for a few minutes afterwards and nothing happened.

Have you driven it since? If not, I'd take the air filter off and drain the intake tube of any remaining water. Also, if it was a paper filter I'd replace it. If it's a cotton filter I'd lightly reoil it.

thanks alec. I actually just let my truck sit in our heated garage at work. I checked the filter when work was done and it was dry. I drove it home and no problems. its a k&n filter that I have relocated towards the bottom of the truck.

It takes a decent amount of water to blow an engine. When you go to the crappy $.40 a gallon gas station, its not unusaul to have water in your gas.

When I was a riceboy, I had a cold air intake that was no more than a foot off the ground and living in upsate NY we definately get rain and snow and never once did I have a problem.

PS- By the way rydinhigh, I like your signature.

A buddy of mine has a 92 Explo. and went through a huge puddle, a little while afterwards the truck experienced power loss, so he pulled over and turned it off. Now when he starts it, the truck idles very rough and then dies. We pulled out the air filter and it was sopping wet. we let the truck dry over night and went back today to check it out. With the filter out the tuck still idles rough then quits. Are these signs of hydrolock. Besides the possibility that water made it into the engine, could there be anything else that might be easy to fix and check out. Thanks for your help.

Back