• Register Today It's free!

Help I have no reverse

kbsmith_48

Reaction score
City, State
Grapevine,KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer Sport 4x4
today we changed the fuel filter and took it down the road came home and we were reving it up all of a sudden we heard a pop so we put it in reverse and nothing but when you rev it it sounds like it is under load put it down into neutral and it went forward when you put it back into park it pulls itsself forward till it kicks in :help:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say you broke it,check the fluid level just in case and see if it smells burnt but I think you had a hard part failure in the tranny.:D

they call these "Exploders" for this very reason// if you got a BANG and no forward or REV then you have a broken intermediate or REV band and are looking at a rebuild. Sorry about this.

thanks figured i may have

you can probably get a reasonable mileage one from a junk yard for under $500. At the u-pull-it near me they list the A4ld for $260 and a $20 core...

today we changed the fuel filter and took it down the road came home and we were reving it up all of a sudden we heard a pop so we put it in reverse and nothing but when you rev it it sounds like it is under load put it down into neutral and it went forward when you put it back into park it pulls itsself forward till it kicks in :help:

Almost sounds like you broke something in the shifter/linkage, like it was "one off" for a while......reverse became neutral, neutral became drive. Check it out. cheaper than a rebiuld.

Back