Help identify - new noise in the front end | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help identify - new noise in the front end

Bigham

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Noticed a new whining/growling from the front end today of a mechanical nature. Loudest around 50-55 mph and keeps occuring when in neutral and coasting.

When the road bends to the right it quiets down. When the road bends to the left it stays the same. Any idea what it might be?

Both my front wheel bearings have been replaced in the last 30K or less miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Power steering pump?

Nope-I know that noise.

Confirmed today that when I turn the car to the right around a bend the noise lessens or goes away. When turning left it stays the same.

Might be imagining it, but it seems when I take my foot off the gas it also slows down more than usual. Any guesses?

I bet you its a wheel bearing. Do you have a lift and big tires on your truck?

Both my front wheel bearings have been replaced in the last 30K or less miles.
My guess is they were NOT Timken wheel bearings. Correct? :(

Don't remember

standard tires and no lift either

Mine doing the same thing... Someone told me it was my wheel bearings as well....but did say that the roar is due to it being a all wheel drive... I have a 2004.... Does that sound right???/

Check your wheel bearings because that's exactly how a bad bearing acts. I put in a cheap autoextra bearing and in about 6 months it went bad, tossed in a good quality wheel bearing and no problems since. You get what you pay for with that stuff. If you say you turn to the right and the noise goes away then its probably your right wheel.

Oddly enough it sounds like it is coming from the left front side of the vehicle.

The car is running in 2wd and I am afraid to switch it to 4wd in case it is something with the front differential.

bump

Wheel bearing. Those are the exact same symptoms.

xsportx, you win. Left wheel bearing.

Back