• Register Today It's free!

Air Pressure?

Dave 1955

Reaction score
City, State
Brockport,NY.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer
Thanks to the info on this site I did a few things to my explorer.
I did the Monroe coil over rears and the tt.
I bought new tires and rims. 31/10.50/15/s.
I did have to trim the side of the bumpers and took the mud flaps off.
There is decent off set to these rims so the tires stick out some.
But I really like them,meaty and rides and drives nice..fairly quite.
They came from TireRack with 45 lbs and I'm wondering if that is fine?

explorer005_zps5d77a152.jpg

explorer002_zpsf662717f.jpg

explorer001_zps0cb54719.jpg

explorer003_zps4c37a61f.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same tire in LT235/15 on stock wheels and that is what I run. I am not recommending this though. Great looking truck by the way.

I have the same tire in LT235/15 on stock wheels and that is what I run. I am recommending this though. Great looking truck by the way.

Thanks!
I paid enough for it this past March..3500.
But it had only 96000 on the clock and runs great,shifts nice and it has the 5.0 in it.
Inside was spotless and everything was working.
It really didn't need brakes and rotors but I wanted all that stuff new to start out with.
I can't say enough about the sensatrak coil overs..raised it 1.5 inches and a really good ride for what the truck is.
I have a 95 also with a 5 speed stick for a beater and the diff now between the two is night and day.

45psi seems too high for your application. TireRack didn't know what vehicle will those tires go on, they inflate more to let you adjust easy by 'letting the air go'.

45psi seems too high for your application. TireRack didn't know what vehicle will those tires go on, they inflate more to let you adjust easy by 'letting the air go'.

I just searched on here and I think you're right.
I read how to do the chalk test so I'll do that today in a parking lot.:thumbsup:

Ok did the chalk thing.
You only need to drive a few hundred feet to see the chalk come off.
Anyways it seems 35 front and 32 rear seems to be my sweet spot.
Rides softer.

That sounds more reasonable. I would make them equal thou because I think you do have an AWD... maybe 33 psi?

That sounds more reasonable. I would make them equal thou because I think you do have an AWD... maybe 33 psi?

Good point that I should have caught! cheers!:thumbsup:

I always run my tyres harder than most people think is right but I get good wear and good control. Having said that 45psi is too high.
Tire Rack might have had to go that high to get the bead seated but they should have lowered the pressure after that.

What does the sidewall say the maximum pressure is?

I always run my tyres harder than most people think is right but I get good wear and good control. Having said that 45psi is too high.
Tire Rack might have had to go that high to get the bead seated but they should have lowered the pressure after that.

What does the sidewall say the maximum pressure is?
50lbs.:thumbsup:

Back