Help identifying noise from engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help identifying noise from engine

ryan8795

Reaction score
City, State
Revelstoke
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer
The best I can describe it is a kind of whooshing/sucking sound with a kind of metallic/tinny sound, almost scratchy and bitty...
This is most obvious at low revs at low speeds. It seems to increase with the throttle, but if I'm driving and lift off the gas the noise is completely gone (or not possible to hear).
At idle, I can very faintly hear the noise. If I just feather the throttle I can hear it also, but any more than that at idle and I can't hear it.

So it sounds like something making the noise at a low level, but under load gets louder. I don't think it's a heat shield. It almost sounds like it could be a tensioner pulley noise or something.

Anyone have a similar issue or could suggest what it might be..?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which engine do you have?

Not sure of what year you have 3 valve 04 and newer? Have a lot of issues with phasers but his would be a tick. Beat advise I can give you is to remove the belt and see if it goes away. While it is off spin your idler pulleys and tensioner pulley and listen for any noise. The woosh sound. Just the word sounds like vacuum to me. But when looking for a noise it is good to eleminate the drive belt components

It's a 2005 model. Yes that's a good idea to remove the belt. Which belt would turn faster upon opening the throttle...the alternator belt? or both? Sorry for my lack of knowledge. Yes maybe whooshing isn't the best word, perhaps more of a raspy grind type of noise that sounds a bit like it's coming from a metal pipe almost.

There's just one belt to take off. More than likely you are having a timing guide/tensioner issue.
But that's not an air (whoosh) sound. So need to determine if it's more of a grinding or air leak sound.

If it goes away with the belt off look into the tensioner first. I'm on my 3rd one in my 04.

I took a quick video while driving to try and listen to the noise...apologies for the wind noise. If you listen around 28 seconds in you can probably hear it clearest. I'm basically coasting along and just feathering the accelerator every second or 2

th_IMG_3201_zpsd8m8mgvo.jpg

Sorry man, I can't hear anything in that video that stands out.

I can hear it, just can't relate it to anything.

Yeah it''s kind of a grinding raspy metallic sound...I thought it could be heat shield but it doesn't seem to disappear with more revs etc, so it's not resonating at just one frequency, it just seems to get drowned out with more speed

Does it not do it while parked, or stopped at a light?

Does it not do it while parked, or stopped at a light?

I can hear it very faintly when parked or in N, it gets louder if I lightly touch the accelerator

Biy an automotive stethoscope and try to pinpoint where it's coming from. Just wear safety glasses and watch out for the fan.

They're cheap and better than a long screw driver.

I just purchased my 02 XLT V8 and it has the same noise. Owner said he had it checked out at the dealer and they said it was the torque converter... I have not verified yet. if you get any updates, please advise... Also said it has been happening for 5 years and not gotten worse.

i have that same noise coming from my 05 4.6 it drives me nuts i cant find out what it is. i no this is a old thread please let me no if anyone has found the problem?? thanks

Back