Help Identifying V6 Motor Part - 97 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Identifying V6 Motor Part - 97 Explorer

leepersc

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Collins, CO.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
Gents,

Looking for some help identifying whatever this box-thingy is on the drivers side of the motor. Pics attached of course.

This part is attached via 2 bolts. Both were loose originally. After battling a LONG and amazingly frustrating No-Start issue, I tightened both of these bolts, thus securing this whatever it is, and BAM, engine started right up and no issues ever since. After identifying this thing, I will share the no start pain in the a$$ I dealt with. I am hoping this thing is IMPORTANT, cause all of my issues disapearred THE MOMENT I tightened this thing down.

Ironic, just by chance, I don't know. I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on this. :salute:

Thanks all,

Scott

Engine-DriversSide-FORDExplorer19976.jpg

Engine-DriversSide-FORDExplorer19974.jpg

Engine-DriversSide-FORDExplorer19972.jpg

Its a Differential Pressure Feedback EGR Sensor. Were the hoses disconected? Were you getting a CEL or any codes? This little part has a lot of heat blowing thru it. If your problems went away by just tightening, you might want to check for heat blowing out the back of the housing it can melt a intake. I think that is the old metal one the new ones are plastic.

Broke mine trying to snake plug wires behind it, its a whole lot of heat. Got my frist and only CEL light off of it so far. Always thought my CEL was blown :)

Might want to read this thread Click Here

Thanks for the response man! Firstly, there were no hoses disconnected from the DPFE. Surprisingly, not a single code or CEL. I really didn't sense any heat blowing or even around the DPFE...could be because I couldn't get the damn thing to start to create any heat for a week or so.

No joke, my no-start nightmare ended the second I tightened those bolts. I'm BLOWN away. (Sorry, couldn't resist the lame joke :0) The only reason I found those loose bolts is because I was reaching for something and put my hand on the DPFE to brace myself. BAM, the whole metal casing shifted. Damn, I am literally praying that this isn't all a coincidence! I may put a bullet in the damn motor if it pulls the whole No-Start crap again.

I appreciate the link also, I'm checking it out now.

I will update if I figure anything else out.....I'm still in awe of how things went.

Thanks man!

-Scott

Back