• Register Today It's free!

Help! : Left three spark plugs

Brandon1993Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Corpus Christi, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
I recently bought new spark plugs for my explorer and began to install the three on the right of the egine without difficulty. Then I got to the left side: completely different story. There's no room to get the wire boots off the plugs so I've been running three new plugs and three old ones. The repair manual doesn't show how to do it, of course. I don't want to start jerking stuff out of my engine to get to the plugs unless I really have to. Thanks for any advice.

------------------
1993 Explorer Sport 4x2
4.0 L. V6 3.73 gears
2.5" pipes w/flowmaster
Pioneer sound sys.
235/75 AT's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you are talking about the passenger's side. You should be able to reach in from the wheel area. You can usually do it with the wheel still on but sometimes, it is necessary to remove the wheel. BTW, we would call the passenger's side the right side. We determine the sides from sitting in the vehicle.

------------------
Ira
91 XLT 4x4

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

I agree with Ira. You can turn the wheel hard right or left to get a better shot at the plugs. You may have to pull back on the plastic in the fender well also. Be sure to wear gloves when working in the tight spots to save your knuckles. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Brian
91 XLT 4x4
4.0L EFI V6
K&N Drop in Filter

The passenger side plugs are a pain, but they are most definitely serviceable. The only one that I have to access through the wheel well is the plug closest to the firewall. The other two can be got to through the engine compartment. They are a bit tight, it helps if you use a universal joint on the ratchet.

To remove the plug wire boots, try twisting them as you pull, they should release. You might bang some knuckles, but that's the hazard of doing your own wrenching, it comes with the work.

When you install the new plugs, put some anti-seize on the threads -- they'll come out easier the next time. If you don't have some anti-seize compound, use some motor oil.

Also, don't tighten the plugs too much, you just need to snug them firmly.

Be sure you gap the plugs properly. The correct stock gap is 0.054".

Good luck.

Thanks a lot, this weekend I'm going to take off the tire and give it a try. I'm going to get wires too since you suggested it. They've never been changed either.

------------------
1993 Explorer Sport 4x2
4.0 L. V6 3.73 gears
2.5" pipes w/flowmaster
Pioneer sound sys.
235/75 AT's

Brandon, do a searach on plug wires. I have read several in the past and there are some good suggestions from other members. You did not say what type of plugs you have, several on the board like the Bocsh +4. I have the Autolite Platinum and really like them. Just some ideas.

------------------
Ogden, Utah
1992 XLT
Monroe Reflex
Autolite Platinum
Modified Airbox

I agree with what has been said. Turn the steering wheel all the way counter-clockwise and you should be able to get to them. I don't know if a 4x2 Sport is any different in getting to the plugs. I did not even need a universal joint. If the wires have been on for more than a couple of years, might want to change them as well.

------------------
Ogden, Utah
1992 XLT
Monroe Reflex
Autolite Platinum
Modified Airbox

Go ahead and get new hi-res plug wires now. You will need them. And go with the Bosch P+4, cause after you do this, you will not want to get in for a while and the P4s' and new wires will give you that time.
Also, GLOVES GLOVES GLOVES You WILL need them.
Plugs, Wires, Gloves, and a universal link for your ratchet will be all you need.
Oh, I did have to cut off 2 wires to get to the plugs, both rear plugs, both sides. And I didn't have to go thru the wheel well.
And have the scars to prove it!

Brandon,
There is a tool that you can use to pull out the plug wire boots very easily. It is a plier that is very long and thin and looks like a needle nose except that it has two curved hooks or open loops on the end that wrap around the boot.It can be used for hoses also. I had similar problems in getting the wires and plugs out, and bought the tool and they came right out from the top. I do wish I had know about the wheel well trick though!
Rick

------------------
Rick
95 Explorer Sport Expedition
Dead Link Removed

where do you buy that tool at?

------------------
'93 explorer sport 4x4

The last I heard, you could only get those pliers from Mac Tools, But I really don't know if their the only place or not. They do work really well. but I don't know if you'd have the room to use them on all the plugs. I was able to get all of the plugs out on my '91 from the engine compartment, but the back one on the passenger side was tight.

Randy

AutoZone has some cheap plastic wire pullers, under $1.

Those passenger side plugs can be a pain. Helps if you have a few different length extensions. I got to the last one from underneath. It's right over the oil filter, well on a 93 anyway. I didn't even use an extension on that one. Gloves definitely gloves.

Ya want to know the secret of getting that last plug? Get a woman to do it. :) They come equiped with littler hands and arms and can get to it easier. Pretty handy to have around... if you dont mind all the whining and complaining.

Nick

Back