( Help ) mountineer is idling rough and stalling ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

( Help ) mountineer is idling rough and stalling ?

louder

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 mercury mountineer
Ok i have a 1997 mercury mountineer V8 AWD . and at random times when i slow down to a red light it starts runing rough and starts surging and rpms roller coaster till it dies . but it will refire NP. (That is if it in Drive ) . some times when it starts acting up at a light i put in into Netruel and this smooths out the idles . But when i put it back into Drive it will stall .

so to sum this all up . when i come to a stop it Sometimes will start missing , and surging RPM a few times till it drops below 500 rpms and dies .

BUT , It will start Right back up EVERYTIME easily but soon as i slow down and stop it acts up . ???? Thanks

It could be three or four things - I'll present them in order of cost - from cheap up to expensive.

Sounds like part of the problem is with regards to fuel delivery under a "load" - like a clogged fuel filter - has it ever been changed? It can't hurt to start there as fuel filters are often neglected to be changed.

The missing could be bad spark plug wires and/or spark plugs - have they ever been changed?

Surging RPM sounds like the computer trying to compensate for the bad parts and or clogged filter OR a bad idle air control valve (IAC Valve).

The fuel filter can be tricky to install if you've never done one before on a fuel injected vehicle, plugs can be tricky especially on the passenger side towards the rear of the engine due to the A/C stuff/tight space, spark plug wires are easy to replace, and the idle air control valve is just a simple swap out.

it does this Somtimes . other times it runs great !

it only starts to run ruff at or around idle . BUT if i give it any gas it clears right up . and never done this during accelaration or under 1500 rpm will driving say at 50 MPH . that is more of a LOAD that sitiing at a red light in gear ?

today iam gona check the air filter , and plug wires for breaks or wear .

p.s. is there a way to test the IAC vavle to see if it working propeley ?

what about the TPS sensor when that oes out what does that cause ( Sythoms )

ok UPDATE ! .

i scaned the ecm and came back with every O2 Sensor either slow to respone , Lean Condtions , heater circuit mal###tion .

bank 1 sensor 1 and 2

bank 2 sensor 1 and 2

?
what does this mean ? iam going clean my IAC today and keep u all updated ?

any input will help a bunch ?

Back