-Help My Friend And I Install a 5.5 superlift- | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

-Help My Friend And I Install a 5.5 superlift-

Kial

Reaction score
On Monday My Friend Justin and I are going to help a friend out (robert) to install a 5.5 inch superlift (xtended brake hoses) on his 92 explorer 4x4. Justin has lifted about 6 or 7 random cars like a old chevy and his sliverado, he said he lifted a 97or8 ranger with a superlift. Is there anything special he needs to KNOW/TAKE NOT OF before we embark on this. Robert has 33x12.5 tires and I convinced him to get 3 spacers per coil in the front (which I think were welding in for safety). I know a newer ranger and a older explorer are a whole world of difference so I just need to know any TIP, FACTS, or PROBLEMS people run into when installing a 5.5 inch superlift (w/o radius arms and sterring) by themselves. He said it shouldnt be hard and hell just stick to the instructions, I want a little more info from those who have accomplished this. Thank you.

-Kial-

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This lift is pretty eady since you aren't using the extended radius arms. It means you have less rivets to remove to install the radius arm drop bracket/crossmember. The rear is real easy. Instead of removing the axle like the instructions said, I chose to remve the two extra front leaf spring bolts vice the e-brake lines and brake lines and just moved the leaf springs on top of the axle. In the front the hardest part was removing the rivet. A 4" grinder and an air chisel helped with that. Othe then that, you shouldn't be more than about six hours with three people.

------------------
93XLT-5.5" Super Runner, Super Runner Steering, 1.5" Body lift,33x12.5,
Borla exhaust,KKM air filter

Is there anything else we need to know?
Thanks for the info Mac.

kial

If you run into stuborn rivets that won't drive out after the head is off (like I did), don,t waste too much time trying to drive them out. Get the drill and drill approx. 1/4" deep through the rivet--it will then collapse when driving it out. I wasted a lot of time-and inflicted several dings on my knucles before I caught on.
GOOD LUCK
93 SPORT
5.5 + 2"B/L, 456GRS,LCKD INFRNT,35"MTX

So is this all the major stuff we need to know? The set date for install is This saturday, hoping the tires and wheels will be in. Thanks again.

Kial & Robert & Justin

Kial,
Your friend may already know this, but most instructions I have seen for lifts say to replace the front springs first. I have no idea why they say this since you have to manipulate the TTB. If you have the springs on it gets very hard to get things to move around. So in short, leave the new springs off (you can test fit them) until after you have the axle pivot drop brackets and radius arm drop brackets installed (don't have to be torqued down but at least installed).

Just a tidbit from my last lift install.. oh yea.. if you don't have it.. get an impact wrench (even electric is fine).. It sure beats a busted knuckle anyday..

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

Thanks Maniak

One last thingey, I know the brakes are a major part to any car, and if we screw up (I dont know how hard they are) there can be serious consequences. How hard are the extended brake hoses to install? Any tibits? Thanks again

Kial

I got a set of Extended brake lines from Dick Cepek. The hardest part is removing/reinstalling the retaining spring from the old hard line (the thing that holds the hard line to the bracket). Before you Start compare the new brake line to the old one. The one on the driver's side did not match my old one (they put in two passenger side ones in my kit). Doing the acutal work was easy (other than the retaining spring). That is about all I can say about the brakes... It is pretty cut and dry..

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

1 word of advice. Take the truck to an shop and have them torch the rivets off and replace them with the bolts. You don't have to remove anything (brackets,etc), just the rivots (you have access to all of them without removing anything). Cost me $40 and saved me 5 hrs of knuckle crunching.

Cheers

Dale

Doesn't torching the rivets off have any negative effects in the steel strenght? Could it cause some weakening?

TIESSEN,
I too am installing the superlift 5.5 next saturday and this torching of the rivets sounds interesting. I bought the 5.5 inch with the extended radius arms superunner kit and superunner steering kit. I ordered everything under the sun. Anyway, I want to make the instalation that a friend of mine and I are going to do as easy as possible. I do not know much about the instalation so could you please tell me what to say to my local shop when I bring it in and tell them to torch the rivets and replace them with bolts. (What bolts, out of the lift package?)
Thanks for all the help.

I replaced the radius arm bushings on my 1991 and torched off the rivits it takes every bit of 15 minutes to do, as long as they don't cut in to the frame the strength is not affected.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Justin keeps putting this off, we still havent lifted Roberts truck. He said the set date is Thursday (2-31-00, or 3-1-00 I dont if theres 31 days in this month). So that means Im going to have to haul my ass, roberts explorer and robert down to justins house on thursday. He said we would probably only be able to get the front-end done, cause we would be starting round 3 or 4 in the afternoon, but I want to get it all done when were all together. He said that he would have to look at the kit to see how hard it would be and how much time it would take. I was looking over Roberts parts and I found lots of rust on what Looked like a drop arm, can we spray paint the peice silver or something to cover up the rust? Or would that be a bad idea? I hope this isnt that hard of a lift and we can get it all done in a day. Thanks for all the info, I pasted it all on a peice of paper and printed it out for Justin. Dead Link Removed

-Kial Robert Justin-

Back