Help mystery squeek! (with sound/video) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help mystery squeek! (with sound/video)

dean1997sport

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport OHV
I thought it was my pulley so I changed it and I still have this noise! it goes away after about 3 minutes but every time my truck is cold started the noise comes back. Anyone have any ideas?

((((Click on the pic for video and sound))))

Sorry the video is kinda crappy it was raining pretty hard this morning and I was on my way to work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I first start mine the alt squeaks a little until it gets warm.

I checked it this morning cold this is when I usually hear it but everything turns and seems smooth no drag or any noise well the PS pump always makes a little noise but this is different.

How old is that belt? Have you turned each accessory by hand to verify they run smooth?

Belt is a 2 year old GATES and yes I checked and everything turns smooth.

check the belt tensioner,remove the belt and check it for tightness,and side to side play .they do fail.
could also be alt bearings,or even the a/c clutch pulley.best to get in there with your ear and see if you can pinpoint the area its coming from .

you can buy just the pulley for the tensioner for about 12bucks as long as the tensioner doesn`t have play in it .

Back