Help, No Fuel Pressure! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help, No Fuel Pressure!

I don't believe there is any way for me to hook up my gauge to the fuel line, the gauge just has a threaded connector. Is there an adapter for this?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most Fuel Pressure Gauges Come With The Adapters

If the pump filter and the external filter is clean...

The fuel system on the returnless system will read 60 or more psi on the initial prime...20 psi is not close to being enough for these systems since they run on 65+/- 8 psi...

The earlier Ford systems run on 30-40 psi and that pressure is based on engine load...There is a fuel pressure regulator on the returnless systems;it is just in the tank mounted on the fuel sending unit... Please don't confuse the two systems...

If the pump is only outputting 20 psi then there are a few possibles here...First one question; When the external fuel filter was removed from the truck what did the fuel look like on the inlet side of the filter? Was it clear or was it coffee/rust colored?

The pump has died or is dying...If the fuel was dirty in the tank, the pump sock does not stop solids from being pulled into itself and that is what killed my last 2 pumps...

If the fuel was clear, and the pump is only outputting 20 psi or not outputting at all at the open fuel line where the filter normally is, either the supply line was kinked at the tank or the pump is gone...My last pump had charring on the ground lead and the connector was melted from the excess current being pulled through the connector...

Finally is the work done by the garage under any kind of warranty? If it is i would take this truck back to them and have them fix it..And yes the pump could have died in one day...

Let us know what you find out...

Thanks for the replies.

My gauge only came with one adapter for the Ford fuel rails.

The fuel was clear when the filter was removed and looking in the tank it looked really clean.

We put the fuel pump in, not a garage so the only warranty is for the pump from Autozone. Unfortunately we had to modify the electrical connector to make it work.

I don't think its a kinked line because it ran great for that one day and then started acting up again.

Looks like I'll have to replace the pump again, I hope Autozone takes the thing back.

Thanks!

Check the connectors on the pump...

And see if they are melted or charred in any way...Mine were when the pump started outputting 20 psi.. And it went down from 68 psi to 20 in a few days...I have a fuel pressure gauge mounted on the a-pillar to monitor the fuel pressure...

How did you have to modify the connections? Didn't your pump come with an adapter for the pump wiring on the sending unit? And AZ will take the pump under their 1 year warranty..Even without the receipt; just need the name/phone number the warranty was registered under...

There was no adapter with the pump so we had to cut the wires and use the old one.

Hopefully we'll get a new pump in tomorrow and I'll report back on how it goes.

Thanks for all the help!

Edit: One last thing, the system holds no pressure. As soon as the pump stops, pressure drops right back to zero. I thought it was supposed to hold some pressure, isn't that what the bleed off valve is for?

Last edited:

You might have a leaking injector.

Ok, I tested the voltage at the wiring that runs into the tank. Got 12V.

I jumped the relay and got a reading of about 14psi on the gauge.

Thats too low isn't it? Could the fuel pump have gone bad in one day? It's an Airtex from Autozone.

Thanks!

yes,the airtex pumps are junk .do a google search for airtex fuel pump reviews and you will see.
national auto even gave me the heads up on them. they said they are junk.they had alot of problems with them and do not sell them anymore .
did you buy the full assembly??
if you have a national auto in your area they are selling remanufactured oem assemblies and they say they are not having any problems with them .

i found this out because i need a pump soon and i been doing my homework befor a drop a couple hundred on one .

good luck.

Yeah, I researched the Airtex pump after it was installed. lol

I don't know how I forgot the rule to not buy parts from certain places.

We're taking out the Airtex for a refund, NAPA has Bosch and NAPA Fuel Pumps brands.

Anyone familiar with the NAPA Fuel Pumps? Both state they are OEM Equivalent. The NAPA brand is available now or I would have to order the Bosch.

Thanks for all the help!

Ok, decided to go with the NAPA brand.

Installed it and it works! Started right up:)

At idle my gauge is reading 55 psi, this seems low compared to other peoples experience. Is 55 psi OK? I thought it was supposed to be around 62 psi.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

I hope this one lasts longer than one day:D

Thanks for the update!

Ok, decided to go with the NAPA brand.

Installed it and it works! Started right up:)

At idle my gauge is reading 55 psi, this seems low compared to other peoples experience. Is 55 psi OK? I thought it was supposed to be around 62 psi.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

I hope this one lasts longer than one day:D

Great news on the pump...The pressure is close to the Ford tolerance for the returnless fuel system...65 psi +/- 8 psi...If the engine runs without hesitation then the fuel requirements are being met...

What did you end up doing for the wiring to the pump? Did you have an adapater to use this time?

Back