HELP!; oil consumption problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!; oil consumption problem

nofortunatesonII

Reaction score
I recently purchased a '91 Mercury Grand Marquis to drive for the winter to keep my '99 Ranger Sport from being exposed to road salt. The Mercury is having an oil consumption problem. Oil is flowing through the tube that goes from the oil filler cap area to the throttle body. The oil is then running out of the throttle body and into the air filter that mounts close by. I checked the PCV valve by removing the valve/ hose from where it connects (up near firewall) and there is suction coming from it. Is it possible the area where it connects (intake mainifold???, can't see back there, only feel) is clogged and the PCV is not able to suck once plugged in to the intake (or whatever it plugs into)? The inside of the oil filler area is the color it would be if getting some sort of moisture in it (color of coffee with cream). The oil on the dipstick looks fine and does not look like the stuff in the oil filler area. I removed the radiator cap while running and there are no tiny bubbles like might be present with head gasket problems. It keeps drenching air filters so I am running without one at this time. There is slight pressure coming from the tube that comes from the oil filler cap area, I thought this should be slight suction and not pressure??? At least it does not appear that it is being sucked into the throttle body and running through the engine and fouling the plugs. Any help greatly appreciated, I need to figure this out as it is going through a bit of oil as well as air filters. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

clean the oil filler cap. it's probably from condensation.

do you get any pressure from where the PCV valve plugs in?? if so, i doubt that area is clogged up (i've never heard of it clogging up).

you may want to do a compression check. if the rings are going out then there would be an increase in pressure that the PCV valve can't handle.

they also make oil traps for the PCV system if all else fails.

Where do I purchase an oil trap for my PVC system...

That may be the way I'll have to go. Thank-you for your help.

Everything sounds like it's working the way it should... the engine is experiencing blow-by, the PCV system is directing the fumes to the intake, and condensation in the oil cap is normal when you run an engine in cold weather. The only thing worth being concerned about is the root cause, which would be the blow-by. It's likely a sign of an aged engine. I'd run a compression test to make sure the rings aren't shot in any of the cylinders. If it checks out OK, don't worry about it... investing in an oil separator will help catch the oil before it hits the intake, but it's not going to solve the blowby issue.

-Joe

My main concern at this time is

the oil mess problem. The air filters keep getting soaked. If I can where to purchase one of the oil traps, I would be satisfied with that solution. The engine does have a few miles on it (100K). The car is just a winter driver at this time, so the blow by issue doesn't bother me that much, just the oil mess. Thanks for the reply.

Back