Help on decision for nerf bars and airdam? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help on decision for nerf bars and airdam?

What setup should i go for???

• Go with nerf bars and front air dam

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No nerf bars, just airdam

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Dont do anything to it

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

rocket 5979

Resident Gearhead
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Villa, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4.6
Well i am about to be done with my engine for now(hopefully), so i am looking for other things to do for my X being that all of my money wont be getting dumped into my engine anymore for a while i hope. Ok i am kind of toying with the idea of getting a set of nerf bars and a front air dam(the one from EE for 00 explorers). I already ordered my billet grills and clear corners and those will be here within the next 2 days. But i want to kind of add more structure to the front end of the car and let it follow through to the rear versus just having the airdam and nothing like a side skirt or anything for the mid body section. I thought that a set of nerf bars might do the job and look good too. Though this car wont see any offroading EVER. But i thought it would look better than the sidestep running board thing. Any and all opinions are welcome, as long as they are within reason.

If someone could do a photoshop i would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

air dam yes

nerf bars no

if anything get the running boards on the side, but id be against that even.... all nerf bars will do is look out of place (kinda an offroad thing) and add weight to your truck making it not as rocket-like ;)

The weight thing is kind of what i was thinking too. But if i get the airdam i will need to get something to add more structure to the sides of the vehicle. I dont think the stock looking running boards would be good either. I wonder how much the Saleen side skirts cost? Probably like a bajillion dollars or something outrageous. hehe.

Do not put nerf bars on!!! It wont look good at all.
I say yes to the airdam. I actually like the stock running boards over any other afternarket running boards out there. And they give it a lower more areodynamic look on the sides, thats why Im thinking of taking mine off.

Thats why you are taking what off??? Your stock running boards??? And if so you plan on selling them???

I think nerf bars would look outta place. They're more for the offroading crowd. You being lowered it would look even more odd. Air dam would be very cool!

Cool that is what i think now that i kind of looked some things over. But now i am looking at the stock running boards. Anyone know where i could pick a set of these up? Used or new does not matter to me. As long as they are in good condition.

A good place to start looking is ebay. or i could steal them off a friend that i now hate. They're grey?

Thats why you are taking what off??? Your stock running boards??? And if so you plan on selling them???

Im taking them off so I can get a few extra inches of ground clearence. And so I dont bend them on anything while wheeling. I wont be taking them off before Sept. because I dont have the X with me.

Originally posted by IAmTodd
A good place to start looking is ebay. or i could steal them off a friend that i now hate. They're grey?

Heck if you are up for a black op i would we willing to take those off of your hands of course. But i would have to send the funds via paypal from my OFFSHORE account. hehe.

airdam- yes
nerf bars- um....

no.jpg

Hehe. I was waiting to see when you would chime in here James. lol.

That EE airdam will set you back enough, don't you think? :D

Nahhh. It is only like what about close to $300. Right? Being that i got another $2000 for my car of which about $600or so is going into my new E-303 cam and roller rockers. And then i got the other parts to play with for dyno tune and guages and the exterior. Just to let you allknow, i am not rich or anything. I just put every penny of my extra money into my car it seems. lol. Well maybe not every penny but close enough. And the cool thing is if i decide to just leave the exterior alone then i can RE-buy my nitrous kit again. Or just re-pulley the charger once installed for 11 pounds.

Oh heck i just looked at the price. It is only $200 for it. Hey that is cool. I will be getting my billet grille today and then i should be geting my clear corners either today or tomorrow, and then in about next week i will be recieving my Altezza's which though arent fully clear like i wanted still the ones i am getting look really nice. All in all in the past week i have dropped about $500 into my exterior. Which is good because i needed to liven it up some more. $180 for upper billet, $90 for lower, $35 for front clears, and $200 for rear tails. God i need a cheaper hobby. But i wont stop till everyone looks and just stares at it. and then when i rev my engine and take off i want them to drool a little too. lol. Basically i want as much if not more respect than what a Cobra gets when driving around town. Because i know i gawk really bad when i see one of those. :D

Man I wish I had your budget. My wife would have to get another raise or promotion for me to do that much at one time.

But back to the topic, what do you have planned color wise for the airdam and bumper cover? I would think that's going to drive your decision on the rocker panels. I like the stock running boards but I also use them both for the kids and for access to the roof box. Here's a pic of EE dam paint matched to running boards.

http://www.summitracing.com/landing/truck/ln_02showshine.htm?VoterID=EUMMWSCLHE&CarID={F697F609-8692-4DC5-8027-483B3EBC29CE}&Page=&UserQuery=explorer&QueryType=exact#ShowTop

5.0Dad- the pic in your link is of a CJ7 with about 18 inches of lift and 31" tires. if there's an EE airdam there, it must be laying between the seats...

Right James. I thought the same thing. But was too lazy to reply

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks dejello. Maybe for fathers day I'll get to go Elite and not have that problem. Time to start brain washing the kids!

Back