Help!!!!...Parking Brake Pad Broke....can't get off rotor!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help!!!!...Parking Brake Pad Broke....can't get off rotor!!!

frickea86

Rust? You mean character!
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT SOHC
alright guyz here is my situation, today i went to pull out of my driveway and all i hear is an horrible scraping an crunching sound. Well guess what, its my emergency break pad in side my rotor being ground up. So i'm like ok we will just take the rotor off well we soon find out that we can't because of the break pad being wedged in and preventing us to take it off. I am at loss for ideas, we have tried everything and there is no tention on the ebrake. Also, i need this fixed by sunday night, i need to drive it up to college and i can't afford not having a vehical.....plz...any help or ideas are very well needed...THANK YOU!!! i've attached a photo because i think its funny how we had been pulling on it.

The funny pic... :D

Attachments

• disks 001.jpg
    disks 001.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 625

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well right there you are pulling on the caliper bracket instead of the rotor. Get a rubber mallet and pount from the inside. Rotate the axel around to keep banging around the rotor. Dont forget to cote aroudn the hub and lug nut areas with pb blaster

unscrew the parking brake adjuster all the way

boominXplorer said:
well right there you are pulling on the caliper bracket instead of the rotor. Get a rubber mallet and pount from the inside. Rotate the axel around to keep banging around the rotor. Dont forget to cote aroudn the hub and lug nut areas with pb blaster

booming- no its on the rotor, just in the picture it doesn't look like it. If i can't get it off with a pulley puller then it aint coming off with an hammer. I've tried the hammer, i've soaked it in pb blaster an nothing. it is not rusted to the spindle at all, i can move the rotor around, its hanging up on the ebreak.

The parking break isn't even hooked up to the foot application lever, so there is absolutely no tension on the lines at all.

My problem here is the ebrake pad is preventing me from pulling the rotor off.

Thanks for the tips guyz... :thumbsup:

The p-brake adjuster can still be unscrewed, and may help you out a little.

That puller looks WAY too small for the application. It looks like it may be pulling the arms "in" instead of pulling them "out."

I don't have any great advice on the situation. Keep on soaking it, :hammer: 'ing it, and using the puller.

yeah... just keep wiggleing it, it will eventually come off. It shouldn't be hangign on anything just because the inside of the rotor is basically smooth

ya that puller is way too small

alright thanks guyz, i'll keep beating on it all today and let you know what i find. The only problem with a bigger pulley puller is that the arms are way to be to get in between the protecting shield, so I'm stuck with what i got. If you guyz know how to get the shield off then let me know, but to my knowledge its riveted to the spindle plate....wish me luck...thanks

just keep beating and rotating the axle. Then once it gets a little loose wiggle it ALOT and it should come right off the studs :)

I see an empty beer can in the lower right corner of the pic, try a few more of those and see if that helps any....lol.
*EDIT* NM, thats the center cap. looks like a crushed beer can..

Its just going to take persistance, please note that using the puller may or may not warp the rotor.

thanks guyz for all the help, i was able to get the rotor off. what i ended up doing was putting the pulley puller on the rotor horizontally and then beating the end of the pulley puller to crap, from left to right to hopefully wiggle it out and it worked. did it for like 5 mins and bam off came rotor... :D Well this is what i found...(see attached photo)

let me tell you what, I HATE DRUM breaks...lol...i finally got the old ones off and got the new ones on. well i'm remounting the tire and i look across at the other side and the cable came off the lever... :rolleyes: ...so i had to go over and put it back on and now it won't stay on, so i'm done, i've giving up on it, i will replace the other side next weekend. I've had to much this weekend...lol...thanks again for all the help and the motto "Get a Bigger Hammer", it works.... :thumbsup:

Attachments

• disks 003.jpg
    disks 003.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 557
  • disks 004.jpg
    disks 004.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 583

Adam,

Where did you get your p-brake setup? I cannot seem to find any parts store (online) that has the shoes, etc. Was the cost of these shoes comparable to standard brake pads/shoes?

I need to do mine this weekend (rotor too), so hopefully i can just beat the **** out of the rotors to get'em off!

Thanks,
Chris

Back