• Register Today It's free!

Help Please

tjberry508

Reaction score
City, State
Starkville, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
I am currently having a couple of problems with my 1994 XLT 4x4 with 137,000 miles and your help would be very much appreciated.

1.)When idling, the engine surges w/ the RPM jumping(about 200 rpm above normal) every 3 seconds. This occurs in park, drive, and reverse. It seems to have a kind of "bucking" feel to it. However, it only does this when I have the DEFROST turned on or when the A/C is turned on. If the defrost is not on or the a/c is off, the explorer idles fine.
2.)Next, the check engine light comes on when driving at highway speeds or during hard acceleration. When accelerating past 55 mph (in O/D), the normal shifting of gears that occurs during this speed doesn't happen and the RPM runs noticably higher. For example, @ 70 the RPM is about 2400, but when the truck is running normal @ 70 it is about 2000 RMP. The explorer is sluggish when going uphill or trying to pass another car (a decrease in engine response and power is easily noticalbe). The only time I notice the gears shift @ 55 mph is when I am traveling downhill and slowly acclerating past 55 mph. However, when power is needed to maintain speed above 55 mph, the rpm's go back up and the gears shift back down (into 3rd gear I assume). I am guessing that the explorer is staying in 3rd gear and won't go into 4th while going faster than 55mph in O/D.
3.)Gas milage is considerably worse of course.

I have read on this site about problems with fuel pressure regulators and O2 sensors, and I was wondering if this might be the problem that I am experiencing. Thank you for your help.

One problem could definately be the O2 sensors, lack of power and loss of mileage, and CEL. Your tranny may not be shifting right cause your engine's efficiency has decreased. I'd see what codes your computer is throwing to cause the CEL. It's probably the O2's.

Your idle problem sounds like the IAC's fault. Try cleaning it, there are many threads on this. It is normal for idle RPMs to jump a bit with the A/C compressor running, but it shouldn't happen in short cycles like that.

Good luck! Oh, and WELCOME!

If it does it every 3 seconds it leads me to beleive that your A/C system is in a low pressure situation and the compressor is cycling on and off.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back