• Register Today It's free!

Help -- Power Window "issues"

jsanzo

Reaction score
City, State
HAMPTON,VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
I have seen posts about power window failure, but what has been the fix? I have a 99 4-door xls and the windows stooped working. The fuse is not blown and everything else works. What relay would I check?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are ALL the windows not working?

Robb said:
Are ALL the windows not working?

None of the power windows on the driver's door or any of the other three. Does not even sound like any power is getting to the motors. Acck!

will they work if u use the switch on each door? or are u trying to do them all with the drivers door one?

tried each door individually and nada. Nothing from any of em.

jsanzo said:
tried each door individually and nada. Nothing from any of em.

Called the Ford Dealership and they said one of the switches must have gone bad and this disables all of them. Quoted 140 bucks for the work. Does this sound right and/or should I try the fix myself.

jsanzo said:
Called the Ford Dealership and they said one of the switches must have gone bad and this disables all of them. Quoted 140 bucks for the work. Does this sound right and/or should I try the fix myself.

Okay....I need advice on this one!!!!

front drivers side switch is considered a master switch. If it fails its very possible that all windows will fail. Replacing the switch is easy and you can go to car-parts.com for cheap parts.

I am also having the same problem w/ complete power window failure on all 4 windows on my 99 XLT. It was a gradual failure, not sudden, so doesn't appear to be fuse or relay....Does anyone know if jsanzo had any success in replacing any of the switches?

which fuse is it that controls the windows? Thanks

-Drew

Not sure if you're asking me directly or not, Drew. But I've checked all the fuses which seem to be fine. I'm thinking my window problem is more related to one of the switches going bad, since it was a gradual failure. I haven't gotten any estimates yet, but I'm sure it ain't cheap...

Have you taken a multimeter and tested for voltage at the window motor when the switch is applied? I would check for voltage first before I order any parts.

I'm having a similar problem. I'm noticing a strange situation with my 96 XLTs power windows and closing the driver side door. Depending on how the door is closed the power windows work, or don't. As of now, one window is down, and I can't get it to operate no matter how I close the driversd door. BTW, aside fromt the drivers door not locking even if the power locks are activated, everything else electronic is fine. The fuses are all good. I think a sensor may be going if it hasn't already. I'm open to suggestions. Aside from fixing it, is there a way to manual get the window up?

I'm no Ford Tech, but it sounds like a loose connection problem to me. If it depends on how you close the door, sometimes it works and sometimes not, then first check your connections. I figure with each open & shut, the connections are being bounced around. On my XLT, i can (from the drivers switch) put down the Drivers Front & Rear & Pass. Front, but not the rear. From each individual door, only the drivers front & rear work. I'm too lazy to investigate - until MY window doesn't go down anymore, i won't know much more.

Chris

Back