• Register Today It's free!

Help Radiator Blew up

gsims25

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 98 XLT 4X4
So here I go, bought a used 1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 about four days ago. Started over heating, and no heat was coming from vents so I put a thermostat in, (since the guy before me never had one in.. wierd). After that water pump started leaking really bad, so I replaced that a day later. Put everything back together, no leaks after about 15 min antifreeze start coming out of radiator cap. So I get a new cap and put it on, car it running great get about 10 miles down the road and I hear a load pop and the engine is smoking and starts to over heat again. Pull over and antifreeze is pouring out the bottom of radiator. I thought it was the hoses, but I poured water in radiator and it was pouring out the bottom of radiator. Help, has this every happened to anyone before and when I replace the radiator will it fix the problem, never had this happen before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be the Radiator is plugged up, what does it look like inside?
If you replace the Radiator, borrow a pressure tester from your local parts store and put that on instead of the cap, then run the engine for a while and see what kind of pressure it builds. You could have a bad head gasket.

Radiator_Cap_Pressure_Tester.jpg

Bob

Thank you

Thank you, I will check the pressure after I install new radiator.

You understand what i mean right? Dont pump it up, let the engine idle and watch the gauge. If the pressure builds fast or gets to like 14lbs before the engine heats up, shut it off. Then check back here for further advice. Im not sure what normal would be, but if I get a chance Ill check mine from cold tomorrow and let you know.

Bob

also

Thank you in advance, also since replacing thermostat and water pump there is a knocking noise when it first starts up and goes away when it warms up?

Back